Return of the (fake?) Hadrosaur eggs

palaeoguytn

Evening all,

Sorry to bore everyone with yet another egg post, however I stumbled across these "hadrosaur eggs" at the local antiques market. 

In the dark of the guy's stall they looked very real, but I'm having second thoughts as to its authenticity.

Seller had no info bar that he got it off an old man who worked in SE Asia (red flag surely) and brought back a whole bunch of stuff.

Anyway, thoughts and discussion would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 18.21.26.png

The best guess is that these eggs were made using actual shells of dinosaur eggs, but definitely these eggs are not real.

Here's what happens if you decide to break these eggs:

image.png.6249524b99b205473ed208ec041de2c1.png

image.png.a5ccb32924a85cbea583ebea10236c0f.png

image.png.8c514841a35af605f62b5da7bcbeab9e.png

image.png.02178da412d14394683d806cc98683de.png

For comparison, the difference between a real egg and a fake egg, below, a photo of a the genuine Dinosaur Egg that is deposited in my private collection:

image.png.41c3a0f1cd0c218f6b8b17cbe88bb4f9.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I concur that these eggs you have posted seem to have an element of manufacturing behind them as the shell does not look right at all, however I am no expert on dinosaur eggs by any means I believe @Troodon might be able to help.

3 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Here's what happens if you decide to break these eggs:

What no omlet just dirt :(

I believe they are fabricated.  They are both too perfect and the colors look to similar.  Real eggs like the one shown above has some flaws.  The matrix also has those grooves with white lines that is typical of fake eggs.

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What no omlet just dirt :(

Omelet of the cement, sand and red dye... ;)

03.PNG

I've seen these kinda fake eggs more time than I can count. I do wonder where they are coming from.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

I've seen these kinda fake eggs more time than I can count. I do wonder where they are coming from.

From Malaysia? :rofl:

03.PNG

1 minute ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

From Malaysia? :rofl:

Or just as likely, China. There's an antique/mineral China shop owner in Singapore who often gets shipments from his own country. I've seen these kinda fake eggs in his shop.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

5 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Or just as likely, China. There's an antique/mineral China shop owner in Singapore who often gets shipments from his own country. I've seen these kinda fake eggs in his shop.

I do not doubt that these "eggs" are sine manufactured in China, as I fear that at least the shells are real. It's beautiful for an exhibition, this I will not deny, but it will always be a fake, either with real shells or not . :(

03.PNG

These eggs look like the ones I bought a few years ago when I first started collected. In my opinion there is no real shell and they are completely fake. Take a look through this guide I made and you’ll see them listed in there as an example for fake eggs. 

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

@Seguidora-de-Isis  with all of the knowledge you have about there eggs and photos of broken ones is it possible that you are the one manufacturing them? :D  ha ha

It was not for you to tell my secrets, now I can not train Moroccans anymore and teach them how to do it! Ha ha ha ha ha ;)

Our friend @Tidgy's Dad is very eager to learn! :D

03.PNG

57 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

It was not for you to tell my secrets, now I can not train Moroccans anymore and teach them how to do it! Ha ha ha ha ha ;)

Our friend @Tidgy's Dad is very eager to learn! :D

Fear not! 

I am already churning them out by the lorry load. :) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived