Kingston NY - Devonian road cut finds

Ben 2000

Hello Forum, I was vacationing in Kingston NY last weekend and went collecting along the Middle Devonian road cuts along route 209 and 9w. Hope the experts here can help me identify what I saw and collected! The first image is a fossil, too fragile to remove, in the 9w road cut that stood out from the masses of shells surrounding it. The rest are bulb like forms (corals?) collected from the loose shale of the Route 209 roadcut. Any ideas? Many thanks to the NY enthusiasts posting here that inspired my search. - Ben 

6BD15BC2-BFC8-4EA8-8414-B4690DD9D38E.jpeg

786AEA24-0E2B-44BE-B4ED-DDE290784F83.jpeg

The first image appears to be the ventral part of a brachiopod.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with ynot

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The second picture I'm not sure about. Probably concretions (the bottom one is definitely a concretion) but I've seen some very weathered, poorly defined rugose corals come out of the Route 299 road cut that are only recognizable by their bulbous shapes. I would have to see some better pictures to decide for sure. By the way, the road cut along 9W is Lower Devonian Glenerie Limestone.

• I found this Informative 2

Wow y’all are great, thanks so much for the ID’s! A brachiopod ventral part, I looked up a brachiopod diagram and see it now too! As for the concretions, well now that surprised me but after researching them it makes sense, “Calcareous concretions are very common in Devonian rocks”, especially the more spherical ones. Jeffery P, I’m still looking at the tapering tops and bottoms of some of them and can’t quite yet let go of a living origin, here are some more pics. Sorry about the incorrect tag, new to forums and can’t seem to find the edit button to correct it. 

0254ED90-89C9-47B5-A15C-DE67C87E5458.jpeg

D39B7D6A-1F41-48F2-8162-337D2D24EE17.jpeg

Haha, thanks GeschWhat, yeah that connected concretions was really fun to dig out of the shale attached. I had found a few similar the prior year and had been thinking  fossil this whole time, glad I got to go back and find more. Thanks Jeffery P for identifying the correct local for 9W roadcut, I really liked the dense formations there, like an ecosystem snapshot. This pic is a larger shell full of fragments like a tide pool. 

06BE78AA-D236-41C7-BC39-9F9E2A4C360E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I see a bunch of brachiopods and a small partial gastropod there. My Lower Devonian gallery has a number of specimens pictured that might be helpful as far as IDs.