Mystery ammonite from Madagascar

Ailanna

I recently purchased this chunky ammonite from a Chinese seller on eBay. The seller said it was from Madagascar but provided no other information, and I haven't found any photos of Madagascar ammonites that look like this. The suture patterns are unusual (to my untrained eye), and the body chamber looks broken off rather than cut. Total length is about 6cm; width across the body chamber is about 3cm. There are currently several others like it available on eBay (search for 'raw jade ammonite'), some with more pronounced ribbing.

Thanks! I appreciate any ideas you have about this one. 

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

IMG_4560.JPG

15 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

Cool Ammonite...compare with Desmoceras sp.

Thank you! I am looking at pictures of Desmoceras (I suspect some of the ones turning up on Google images are misidentified), and the shape/thickness look reasonable, but the sutures look quite different - the Desmoceras sutures that I'm seeing look a lot more...fingery? Angular? Sharply lobed like black oak leaves? I definitely don't have the right vocab to describe this! The sutures on mystery ammonite look smoother and curvier. Is that much variation with a genus common in ammonites?  

The sutures lose their sharp/angular features and become 

"smoother/curvier" when they are polished as this removed some material from the surface.  This seems to be the case with your specimen. Unfortunately the loss of surface detail such as fine ribs and suture detail can make a definitive ID challenging.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The sutures lose their sharp/angular features and become 

"smoother/curvier" when they are polished as this removed some material from the surface.  This seems to be the case with your specimen. Unfortunately the loss of surface detail such as fine ribs and suture detail can make a definitive ID challenging.

Don

Good to know, thanks. That makes sense.

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think Pfooley has it +1 for Desmoceras latidorsatum 

Thanks! Consensus is a beautiful thing.