Currently in Bryan Tx

nautilus_dweller

Hey y’all!!!! Currently in Bryan tx looking to hunt the brazos tomorrow! Anyone have tips or hints? I’ve heard the whiskey river is pretty good, I’m focusing on sharks teeth myself. 

No clue but that place is on my bucket list.  I too love to hunt for shark teeth.  Let us know what you find.

3 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

A brief 2001 article by Neal Immega of the Houston Gem and Mineral Society may provide a helpful hint or two: LINK.  Good luck and good hunting!

-Joe

Thank you so much!!!! 

Whiskey Bridge...the other is just a song....  Collected there about a month ago with the Paleo Society of Austin. The river was low, and probably still is, so there were exposures at water level downstream of the bridge that were extra productive. But then it is always productive if you just dig a little. One member found two large (1") shark teeth and many smaller ones were collected as well. I picked up a few batoid teeth as well. Majority of teeth I found were small and from one layer just above a hard layer that forms a little ledge just upstream of the RR bridge.

Oh, and you need to be on the South(west) side of the river. The North(east) side is just sand and dirt.

23 hours ago, erose said:

Whiskey Bridge...the other is just a song....  Collected there about a month ago with the Paleo Society of Austin. The river was low, and probably still is, so there were exposures at water level downstream of the bridge that were extra productive. But then it is always productive if you just dig a little. One member found two large (1") shark teeth and many smaller ones were collected as well. I picked up a few batoid teeth as well. Majority of teeth I found were small and from one layer just above a hard layer that forms a little ledge just upstream of the RR bridge.

Oh, and you need to be on the South(west) side of the river. The North(east) side is just sand and dirt.

O man! Wish I had seen this earlier! Didn’t get my notifications in time! We didn’t really find much sadly. Of course I got some little fossilized shells, and some really neat rocks. We went with a young man and he found one of those batoid  teeth. I ask him to hold onto it but he skipped it across the river *shakes head sadly* My boyfriend was working a rig site in Caldwell and found some gorgeous larger shells, too bad it’s private :/

image.jpg

Looks like you've amassed a small collection of the typical gastropods from the Eocene Stone City Formation.  The cone snail shell (probably Conus sauridens) looks like a particularly nice one.  Often times they come out as multi-piece jigsaw puzzles.  The preservation of the shells from the Whiskey Bridge site never ceases to amaze me.  Those shells look pretty good for being about 42 million years old!  Oh, by the way, as far as I know, all members of the family Conidae are/were venomous predators and there are actually cases of some of the larger  living fish-eating species causing death to humans who accidentally pick them up.  Fortunately, yours has been dead for too long to pose much of a threat! :D

If you feel the urge to try to identify some of your finds, here's a LINK to a little pdf that Neal Immega put together that shows pictures of some of the more common finds.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I'm very impressed with those gastropod shells. Lovely preservation! I hope I do as well when I visit there next month.

Your gastropods look to be complete right to their tips - very nice - congrats!!!

Archived