Is there something fishy here?

David in Japan

Hi TFF friends,

Here is one of my recent find.

Hunting report to follow.

I would like to get your help on this fossil. It looks like a bone and looks like fish to me but as it is the first time I found such fossil, some help would be welcome.

It is a little bit smaller than 3 mm and broke right in the middle when I broke open a boulder on the shore.

It is Cenomanian of age, and was found in Amakusa, Japan.

Thanks by advance,

David

20180801_132047.jpg.afb6f9b47a9a96e0ccafebe5a502696f.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

This kind of reminds me of a Chondrichthyes tooth (shell crushing of course), perhaps something like a Hybodont? Though I don't personally know any tooth that have the same pattern as that tooth. Maybe some other people can chime in with what they think.

Very interesting, David. 

I do think it's some sort of tooth, but really not my area, I'll wait and see what the clever sorts say.

:popcorn:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I think so too, It has a Ptychodus look but I ruled it out because of its size and shape (too flat).

3 hours ago, darktheumbreon said:

This kind of reminds me of a Chondrichthyes tooth (shell crushing of course), perhaps something like a Hybodont? Though I don't personally know any tooth that have the same pattern as that tooth. Maybe some other people can chime in with what they think.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very interesting, David. 

I do think it's some sort of tooth, but really not my area, I'll wait and see what the clever sorts say.

:popcorn:

Agree with both of you. I hope than someone encountered a similar fossil and will be able too push me in the good direction.

22 hours ago, ynot said:

I am thinking part of a crab arm.

Maybe @RJB or @Doctor Mud will have an idea.

Thank you, crab material would be a really surprising turn for me as I was quite sure it was a kind of tooth (hybodont).

I am really glad, I asked for others' idea :fistbump:

On 8/1/2018 at 8:15 PM, ynot said:

I am thinking part of a crab arm.

Maybe @RJB or @Doctor Mud will have an idea.

purty dang small for me!  Not a clue what this is.  People who know me know that I like the whole critter.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like Heterodontus (bullhead shark) lateral. Here are some of mine from Ukrainian Albian

heter.jpg.f45abf262152232c151c8b2b46a2ee52.jpghetercan.thumb.jpg.8723bc2030e2579dcd9a679813674c09.jpg

heterodontus.thumb.jpg.4a319bffd1ec4c1297ab9ea7f38e371e.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

7 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

Looks like Heterodontus (bullhead shark) lateral. Here are some of mine from Ukrainian Albian

heter.jpg.f45abf262152232c151c8b2b46a2ee52.jpghetercan.thumb.jpg.8723bc2030e2579dcd9a679813674c09.jpg

heterodontus.thumb.jpg.4a319bffd1ec4c1297ab9ea7f38e371e.jpg

General shape, ridge and pattern have a lot of similarities. It looks like a serious hint, thank you very much. I will search more in that direction and hope I will be able to put a name on that cutie.