Possible Nautiloid or Ammonite found

DerekJ

The included photograph shows a fossil that we can’t quite place. Would any of you be able to positively identify the fossil we found at Portmarnock Beach, Ireland. We think it may be  Estonioceras but are not sure. It is approximately 7cm in diameter. Can anybody shed some light on this. Thanks.

8929DE0E-8E6C-4FEB-BED1-89F19CB6A85E.jpeg

Welcome to TFF, Derek :) That's a nice specimen.. Definitely a coiled cephalopod. Looked up Estonioceras; it's kinda similar to what you have - but I'm not sure..

Do you know the age of the site where the fossil was found? That might help with identifying the fossil. I'd also suggest maybe some clearer pictures of the specimen.

Hope this helps :)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks for replying so quickly. The rock primarily consists of limestone shale. According to the geological map of Portmarnock the rock is from the Carboniferous era and, having given it more thought, the fossil is therefore unlikely to be Estonioceras.

Unfortunately we only had a phone-camera without us at the time and we should've used a coin next to it for determining the size more accurately. If you have any further leads, we'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

So, we've got location, age and lithology (the rock). That's a good start :) it still allows for the possibility of your specimen being some kind of primitive ammonoid.

This could help: http://www.portmarnock.org/geology-across-the-rocks.php

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks so much for putting us on the right path. We really appreciate your input and we'll definitely pursue this further.

Cheers!

We're going to have to go back and find it again if at all possible. Photograph it, this time with a higher resolution and better lighting conditions. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Archived