Baddadcp

More plant material, I have a piece like it but I’m not at home right now so I cannot take a picture.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

32 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

More plant material, I have a piece like it but I’m not at home right now so I cannot take a picture.

You say that even with the close-up pics?

1 hour ago, Baddadcp said:

You say that even with the close-up pics?

Especially so, probably some wood or loose wood cortex.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, Plax said:

looks like a clam to me. The Maryland Cretaceous books are available as pdf and may have pics to help with this. It's a huge multi volume set and near impossible to get in print. This is Potomac Group so early cretaceous freshwater sediment. There's an Unio listed.

https://archive.org/details/lowercretaceous00mary

Web search comes up with this as a freshwater clam.

unionidae.jpg

that pic is interesting. Freshwater steinkern I'd say with worm borings in the mud/shell interface (the shell is gone). Yours looks more like a pseudomorph or shell replacement but you can see the steinkern inside on the first pic.

2 minutes ago, Plax said:

that pic is interesting. Freshwater steinkern I'd say with worm borings in the mud/shell interface (the shell is gone). Yours looks more like a pseudomorph or shell replacement but you can see the steinkern inside on the first pic.

Could be any unionidae, but it's the first image under freshwater clam in a web search and what looking at the specimen feels like. There is a gap between the remains of the shell and core, where I feel if I tried to remove the matrix, this is what I would end up with.

7 hours ago, Plax said:

looks like a clam to me. The Maryland Cretaceous books are available as pdf and may have pics to help with this. It's a huge multi volume set and near impossible to get in print. This is Potomac Group so early cretaceous freshwater sediment. There's an Unio listed.

https://archive.org/details/lowercretaceous00mary

An amazing document. Thank you. The last line of description of fauna in Arundel F is "poorly preserved representatives of fresh-water molluscs." pg. 67.

I have all of the Maryland books (Cretaceous, Eocene, Miocene) in paper from the pre-web days. An amazing lot of literature that provided me many hours of entertainment. All of you Maryland collectors should get the pdfs or paper if available.

11 hours ago, Plax said:

I have all of the Maryland books (Cretaceous, Eocene, Miocene) in paper from the pre-web days. An amazing lot of literature that provided me many hours of entertainment. All of you Maryland collectors should get the pdfs or paper if available.

Hard copies can be expensive, though used Amazon books have some prices I can't believe too. Seems like some people are getting out while the getting is good. I personally prefer to have a paper copy to look at. Are there specific titles I should look for? Thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, Baddadcp said:

Hard copies can be expensive, though used Amazon books have some prices I can't believe too. Seems like some people are getting out while the getting is good. I personally prefer to have a paper copy to look at. Are there specific titles I should look for? Thanks for the heads up.

When looking for books, try Abesbooks and/or Betterworldbooks. I've had really good luck picking up nice used books at a really good price. 

Try using this link.

http://used.addall.com/

It pulls up pretty much any book seller on the web with that specific book for sale. You can sort by price. Personally I think Amazon does about the same thing.

I like having a hard copy too, but I will settle for digital material when needed. I use archive.org the most. It’s got more stuff than Google books, 17 million titles last I checked, but I think it’s all free.

10 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Try using this link.

http://used.addall.com/

It pulls up pretty much any book seller on the web with that specific book for sale. You can sort by price. Personally I think Amazon does about the same thing.

I like having a hard copy too, but I will settle for digital material when needed. I use archive.org the most. It’s got more stuff than Google books, 17 million titles last I checked, but I think it’s all free.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have bookmarked it and shall check it out.

Archived