Newbie looking for ID help

DeanB

I am fortunate to have moved to the Bighorn Basin in Northern Wyoming with all of the awesome geologic structures and fossils.  I work in healthcare but love learning about all things science.  Wyoming is awesome...where else can your son's 8th grade class take a field trip to dig up trilobites (and bring them home) and walk in dinosaur footprints.

Anyways, saw this structure in sediment rock in the northern bighorn basin.  The rock layer is just below the red chugwater dirt layer (I think).  There are multiple coin sized fossilized shells and softball sized coral pieces.  This structure in the picture appears to extend in to the rock layer which is fractured along the right edge of the structure.  Just wondering what this might be.

Thanks,

Dean

image2small.jpg

image1small.jpg

Hey there cowboy and welcome to the Forum from sunny Atlanta.

I proclaim you the winner of the "easy access almost back yard, walk to" award.  Best wishes.

Welcome to the Forum! I suspect that is flint/chert in a limestone bed. Not a fossil. They very easily make crazy shapes like this.

You've landed in a truly spectacular area! I'll be out there in a couple of weeks doing this and that...

• I found this Informative 1