DevonianDigger

Crawfordsville

DevonianDigger

Does anyone here have any experience with Crawfordsville, IN? I am making a XC trip in a few weeks, and I might be able to reach that general area. I wouldn't mind finding a couple of nice crinoids. I know nothing about the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated. (Accessibility of sites, best sites, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

-J

fossilcrazy

Sugar Creek would be the area. Hope you can pull some slabs in a boat from the creek bed, because finding a landowner to allow you on terra firma will be hard, and they watch for poachers. Is CrinoidQueen still a FF member. She would be your best source for info.

fossilcrazy

It seems CrinoidQueen last visited the FF on 12/12/2014. I can't find her business card. Sorry.

Malcolmt

My understanding is there is no longer any public access areas available at crawfordsville

Herb

I heard the same as Malcolmt

minnbuckeye

If you make it as far "west" as Iowa or Minnesota, let me know. I owe you a "guided" hunt!

DevonianDigger

I forgot that I knew someone with a lease there, but it's tapped out until a new excavation takes place, so I'm out for Crawfordsville. Thank you all for your advice! Instead I'm going to layover in Casey, IL... home of a really really big pencil. (Among many other really really big things.)

Rob Russell

I don’t know how long you’ll be in town, but Mazon creek is only about 2

hrs from Casey.  If that’s something you’d consider feel free to send me a PM. I can lead you to nodules, if you’re up for an adventure. Lol

ClearLake

The collection  of "big things" in Casey, Il. is actually kind of interesting.  Makes for a nice side stop when headed across that part of the state.  There are no big fossils, but plenty of other large items!