Tennessee Amber

Fossil Detective

My dad loves fossilized amber, As a teen he was promised a whole piece of amber with a mosquito in it but unfortunately his now homeless cousin stole it and it disappeared forever. He keeps wanting to go hunt for amber but I don’t know any places in Tennessee to go find any. It would make his year to go find a piece so if anyone knows any good locations it would be much appreciated.

Very sad story. 

Sorry, I can't help, but a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco and the very best of luck with your quest! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Was the piece he was promised from Tennessee?  Not sure they have such there, but let's wait for others closer to that location to weigh in.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

No it wasn’t from Tn I’m not sure where the piece was from originally but they had it when they lived in Kansas.

Amber has been found in Cretaceous rocks in Tennessee but it is very rare.  Only one insect inclusion is reported in the scientific literature; that was a beetle, collected in the early 1900s by Bruce Wade, who later described the famous Coon Creek molluscan fauna.  Mosquitoes in amber are incredibly rare worldwide.  However since the Jurassic Park movies they are highly desired and extremely expensive, so they are very commonly faked.

Don

1 hour ago, Fossil Detective said:

I don’t know any places in Tennessee to go find any.

You may wish to review the posts of this member. He had some remarkable success in this area a while back. I don't recall him posting in a while, but messaging him might be helpful to you.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

didn't look up your zip to see where you're from but NC has a lot of amber. Get a copy of "Fossil collecting in North Carolina" or google "fossil amber, North Carolina" any random google with just "amber" brings up amber alerts.

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

You may wish to review the posts of this member. He had some remarkable success in this area a while back. I don't recall him posting in a while, but messaging him might be helpful to you.

Tennessee Pride is still very active under his real name on the Facebook version of TFF in fact posting a pic of a very large piece of amber recently found from his neck of the woods.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I know where the site that the Amber was/is found in TN. It is ALL on private property.

2 hours ago, TNCollector said:

I know where the site that the Amber was/is found in TN. It is ALL on private property.

It doesn’t have to be that specific site anywhere is fine, he just wants the experience of finding something to replace what was lost.

Archived