Bone guy

So I struck the deal of a lifetime. A heliobatis radians for $88.00. But of course I open the box annnnnnd it's broken. 

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

There's a picture of the break. The wide open park of the break has its pieces and I'm confident I could put this thing back together. 

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

How should I go about repairing this? (Honestly I'm not very upset, I have a chance to prep a heliobatis radians! :D

• I found this Informative 1

I would glue the sections together with the thinnest cyanoacrylate you can find. Put a thin layer on both joining sides of the crack, let it soak in for a second then put the pieces together and clamp them (without damaging the face of the other crack) if possible. If you can't clamp, I have used cloth ratchet straps to hold pieces together in a pinch. Let this sit for at least a day, then repeat for the other break.

Be sure you don't let glue run across the side with the specimen exposed. After this is all set up, you can reinforce the back of the slab with Apoxie Sculpt if you feel the breaks need more support.

• I found this Informative 9

6 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would glue the sections together with the thinnest cyanoacrylate you can find. Put a thin layer on both joining sides of the crack, let it soak in for a second then put the pieces together and clamp them (without damaging the face of the other crack) if possible. If you can't clamp, I have used cloth ratchet straps to hold pieces together in a pinch. Let this sit for at least a day, then repeat for the other break.

Be sure you don't let glue run across the side with the specimen exposed. After this is all set up, you can reinforce the back of the slab with Apoxie Sculpt if you feel the breaks need more support.

Cyanoacrylate is like super glue right? So I would find the thinnest super glue? Ok I can do that.

also the other crack hasn't broken yet, I'm not sure if its already been glued back together or if it's just a very bad crack. I'll get some epoxy sculpt to reinforce the back. 

4 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Cyanoacrylate is like super glue right? So I would find the thinnest super glue? Ok I can do that.

also the other crack hasn't broken yet, I'm not sure if its already been glued back together or if it's just a very bad crack. I'll get some epoxy sculpt to reinforce the back. 

Yep, it's just generic brand super glue.

If the other is a crack, you can very carefully let small drops of glue wick off a toothpick into the crack to keep it from breaking. When everything is fixed, you can use acetone to remove most of the glue that gets on the surface (unless you can glue it from the back side).

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Yep, it's just generic brand super glue.

If the other is a crack, you can very carefully let small drops of glue wick off a toothpick into the crack to keep it from breaking. When everything is fixed, you can use acetone to remove most of the glue that gets on the surface (unless you can glue it from the back side).

Interesting. What do you think I could apply to the surface of the fossil to preserve it? Its that classic split fish layer bone that flakes real easy....

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

Interesting. What do you think I could apply to the surface of the fossil to preserve it? Its that classic split fish layer bone that flakes real easy....

McGean B15, Paraloid B72, or Butvar B76 mixed with acetone. 1 part plastic to 50 parts acetone by volume. 

2 coats will lock it down nicely.

Sorry for the break, hope you can fix it. I bid 20 dollars on that one, didn’t stand for some reason:D

Glad it went to a TFFer!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

McGean B15, Paraloid B72, or Butvar B76 mixed with acetone. 1 part plastic to 50 parts acetone by volume. 

Cool beans. I'll write that down.

Oh, no, what a tragedy! :(

Luckily you've got the help of these brilliant people from the forum. :)

Wishing you all the best, I'm sure you can rebuild it! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Beans aren’t an acceptable conservation material. 

Haha :P 

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Oh, no, what a tragedy! :(

Luckily you've got the help of these brilliant people from the forum. :)

Wishing you all the best, I'm sure you can rebuild it! 

Thank you Tidgy senior! Im very fortunate I found this in forum. If I never joined I would probably be trying to fix this thing with elmers glue and a hairdryer.....

13 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

Haha :P 

Thank you Tidgy senior! Im very fortunate I found this in forum. If I never joined I would probably be trying to fix this thing with elmers glue and a hairdryer.....

That's what we do in Morocco! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

41 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That's what we do in Morocco! :D

I don't think they even use anything as strong as white glue. More like syrup and sand. :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I don't think they even use anything as strong as white glue. More like syrup and sand. :P

Some of the black glue they use here is almost impossible to remove. 

No idea what it's made from. 

Dates, probably. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Dates, probably. 

I thought it was camel spit?:headscratch:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think it is made from the bones of former Welsh residents.

That's what keeps you safe, because you are only half Welsh and you just wouldn't adhere as well. :P

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I think it is made from the bones of former Welsh residents.

That's what keeps you safe, because you are only half Welsh and you just wouldn't adhere as well. :P

Can't be right. 

There's an awful lot of glue and no other Welsh residents here I know of. 

Oh, yeah, so that's why! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.