Give me good news!

thelivingdead531

Please give me good news. My son and I went fossil hunting at West Runton beach today and came away with what look like belenmites. Apparently I’m not great at fossil hunting in new locations on my own since these were the only things I came away with (and a mud clump of shells that need some serious stabilizing), and West Runton is supposedly full of all kinds of fossils! Anyway, can someone confirm that these are, in fact, belenmites so I don’t feel completely defeated again (or tell me they aren’t so I can hang my head in shame). :blush:

D080276C-179B-4ACD-9BC4-9EE7C55431E5.jpeg

504E8E89-D797-40B9-9BBF-01400BF2A5AD.jpeg

96312D63-5B96-49E3-9545-5FD2C994926B.jpeg

371F413D-EDB1-40E5-9D8A-0F3AEC37F836.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

MMm... petrified calamari...  sounds crunchy.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Definitely belemnites. If that can help, they look very similar to Belemnella fragments that I find in the Danish Chalk.

• I found this Informative 3

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thank you all! My horrible sunburn was not for nothing then! :megdance:

3 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thank you all! My horrible sunburn was not for nothing then! :megdance:

Sunburn in England??  Must have only been partly cloudy :rofl:

• I found this Informative 2

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Sunburn in England??  Must have only been partly cloudy :rofl:

Normally, I would agree with that statement, but our two month heatwave and drought was just broken last week, and it has been getting hotter this week again. I never thought I would wish for rain in England lol.

Also, I’m as pale as possibly can be, so I would still burn if it was overcast. :rofl:

Heatwave?  Hmmm...let's see...according to the good 'ol BBC, it was 35.1C in Surrey on 26 July...and between 26.2 and 29.4C in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  35.1C translates to about 95.2oF and the temperatures in Northern Ireland,Scotland and Wales ranged between 79.2 and 84.9oF.  Heck...around HERE this time of year we would call that a COOL snap!  It's already 95oF (35C) here  at 3:25 P.M. today with the prospect of it reaching 100oF (37.8C) here again by Monday.  Just a typical Texas summer!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

25 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Heatwave?  Hmmm...let's see...according to the good 'ol BBC, it was 35.1C in Surrey on 26 July...and between 26.2 and 29.4C in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  35.1C translates to about 95.2oF and the temperatures in Northern Ireland,Scotland and Wales ranged between 79.2 and 84.9oF.  Heck...around HERE this time of year we would call that a COOL snap!  It's already 95oF (35C) here  at 3:25 P.M. today with the prospect of it reaching 100oF (37.8C) here again by Monday.  Just a typical Texas summer!

-Joe

It’s definitely cooler here than in a quite a few states, I won’t argue that, but at least you guys have AC to escape into. We don’t, we suffer lol. That being said, I am glad we don’t have 100F temperatures here, you can keep that! 

We had triple digit temps here in Washington State the previous 3 days.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

@thelivingdead531 We got the same heat wave back here in France...

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Cold black tea for that sunburn.  Tannic acid takes the pain away and repairs radiation damage to the skin.  And no, I'm not one of those.  My last ten

years in research were spent at the CDC's, here in Atlanta.  I picked up a few things.

• I found this Informative 3

Lots of belemnites! 

And those bivalves look pretty good to me! 

Worth the sunburn! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It is definitely worn Belemnites' fossil.

Looks similar to what we find here on the other side of the Channel at the Cap gris nez.

The belemnites we find there are called Neohibolites minimus if that can help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan