Hi! I’m new here ☺️

DeeMoji

hi! I’m new, thanks for having me here. ☺️☺️

I went to New Mexico with my husband and did a Little Rock hounding, we went to an abandoned mine and Doug through mine tailings. We found some nice rocks, then I went up the mountain and found this, can anyone help me identify it? 

4015253F-8CAC-46ED-BABE-1EFC852CC09F.jpeg

FB614D3B-B9B4-4653-92AC-BCC7111FB79F.jpeg

31F6C698-D733-4A3B-8F3F-792AEE6A019B.jpeg

D54F41FA-5DF6-45EF-867D-FEF0A892A879.jpeg

A7308451-FCDB-4530-9420-7FDB3A09D4F9.jpeg

68CBEE47-267A-4A00-92FA-B14E26218AB3.jpeg

ECE29DB7-2D85-4E7E-9E83-119A3E7936AC.jpeg

DeeMoji...

Welcome to The Fossil Forum from a little bit up the road from you (about 380 miles)!  Where in New Mexico did you find this item?  Location is important for taking a reasonable shot at an identification.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

Your item looks like a concretion to me.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

34 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

DeeMoji...

Welcome to The Fossil Forum from a little bit up the road from you (about 380 miles)!  Where in New Mexico did you find this item?  Location is important for taking a reasonable shot at an identification.

-Joe

Thank you Joe, I found it in Demming New Mexico 

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

A real close look at the lighter area would be helpful.

Do you mean the lighter color stuck to the outside of it? 

46 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

Your item looks like a concretion to me.

Regards,

Thank you FossilDude19, I did have to google what a concreation was. Lol!! 

31 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Do you mean the lighter color stuck to the outside of it? 

Yes.

Something tells me you know what it is though.

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Yes.

Something tells me you know what it is though.

I actually don’t, I thought it was some kind of egg because of the little cracks but think that’s not possible. I joke to my husband that it’s a unicorn egg, but am only teasing because I don’t know what to call it. I can get better pictures when we get home. Thank you :) 

Welcome to the forum from Maryland!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome from Germany. Sorry, that's not an egg, although the shape could make one interpret it as such. I think Tim has already got it with small concretion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

14 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Welcome from Germany. Sorry, that's not an egg, although the shape could make one interpret it as such. I think Tim has already got it with small concretion.

Thank you :) 

Welcome to TFF from Texas.

It looks like a chocolate cookie with macadamia nuts, but that may be because I haven’t had supper yet.

It May we’ll be a concretion. I collect them. Some concretions actually have fossils in them, but you never know for sure unless you try to find out. I don’t recommend trying to find out unless you have reason to believe it may have something inside.

Sometimes nodules that have cracks are just flaky or it was mud and when the mud dried it cracked. Other times they have cracks because there are crystals inside or any number of other reasons.

It’s a cool looking rock in its own right.

• I found this Informative 4

10 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Welcome to TFF from Texas.

It looks like a chocolate cookie with macadamia nuts, but that may be because I haven’t had supper yet.

It May we’ll be a concretion. I collect them. Some concretions actually have fossils in them, but you never know for sure unless you try to find out. I don’t recommend trying to find out unless you have reason to believe it may have something inside.

Sometimes nodules that have cracks are just flaky or it was mud and when the mud dried it cracked. Other times they have cracks because there are crystals inside or any number of other reasons.

It’s a cool looking rock in its own right.

Mmmmmmm cookies! I haven’t had dinner either.

thank you, I think it’s too pretty to find out. I have it on my dining table as part of my center piece. 

41 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

I actually don’t, I thought it was some kind of egg because of the little cracks but think that’s not possible. I joke to my husband that it’s a unicorn egg, but am only teasing because I don’t know what to call it. I can get better pictures when we get home. Thank you :) 

I'd say it looks more like unicorn coprolite (aka fossil poop). Most people don't tend to recognize them as such because the sparkles rarely fossilize. ;) Seriously, I'm guessing concretion as well. Like Kim, I love to collect them as well. Welcome to the forum! :D

• I found this Informative 3

56 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Don't be silly, unicorns became extinct in the beginning of the Quaternary period.  I know these things through mysterious ways.

8 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Don't be silly, unicorns became extinct in the beginning of the Quaternary period.  I know these things through mysterious ways.

I thought I recognized you! I lived in the 3rd cave on the left in that period! I was usually the one banging the rocks together too loudly all night, but at least it drowned out that other guy's snoring..

• I found this Informative 5

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Yeah, I'm that guy.  I can't walk around Atlanta any more wearing my feathered koteka.

• I found this Informative 3

24 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Yeah, I'm that guy.  I can't walk around Atlanta any more wearing my feathered koteka.

You were allowed to before?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

All you need is a really big straw?  Unless you live in California of course.