Brazos river find. Crab claw fossil?

DeeMoji

Yep, I’ll send progress pics after this little guy arrives and moves through the queue.

I guess I need to get off the couch and back to work. But, I just got done trimming @holdinghistory ‘s Diplomystus slab and I’m totally drenched in sweat. I’m having another popsicle, then back to work.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, DeeMoji said:

@RJB his claw is quite dammaged, I’ve only squirted it with water so far and he definitely needs something to seal him together. I don’t know how (yet) so am going to send it @Ptychodus04 to prep him out. I’ll post pictures ASAP and maybe once he has time to get to it, and if he is not busy he can send progress pictures, idk. 

Mom DYING to see if he has anymore body parts though :)  Fingers crossed!!

You sent it to a very good place. If He can't do it, then nobody could.

Looking forward to seeing the whole crab (I am confident it is there:fingerscrossed:) when He is done.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@DeeMoji  with both claws just about where they should be, I would be purty dang certain that they are attached to the crab itslef.  im wondering how much leg he's gunna find?   I wish you  the best of luck.

RB

I'd be back in the field searching gravel bars for any and all concretions with this look about them. Try to avoid field prospecting them with your hammer as you'll destroy many in the process.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 9:40 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Whiskey Bridge is well documented to be Eocene age Stone City and Cook Mountain formations, and I blurted out the 2 most common crab genera of that age, hedging that this would be one of the two.  I may be off base, but this should get us in the ballpark.  If Alex Osso jumps on here, he'll probably offer ID with higher confidence than I can, based on what is now visible.

Hi all,

Nice find ! ;)

I never was in Texas... but this apparently detritic concretion recall those of Weches Fm.,  from there is known Zanthopsis peytoni Stenzel, 1934.

But I cannot state it with confidence, Neozanthopsis americanus of Rathbun is also a possibility.

Need to see the carapaces because Zanthopsis has very similar chelae in all of their species.

Compare both species  here, at the end of the page: http://www.mbfossilcrabs.com/Carpilioidea.html

:)

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, MB said:

But I cannot state it with confidence, Neozanthopsis americanus of Rathbun is also a possibility.

Àlex, thanks for the updated classification of Neozanthopsis (=Harpactocarcinus) americanus.

Besides the reclassification, Schweitzer et al. 2014 also had to tweak the specific epithet as well:  Neozanthopsis americana (Rathbun, 1928)

Schweitzer, C.E., Feldmann, R.M. & Stringer, G.L. 2014

Neozanthopsis americana (Decapoda, Brachyura, Carpilioidea) from the middle Eocene Cane River Formation of Louisiana, USA and its associated teleost otoliths.

In: Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Mesozoic and Cenozoic Decapod Crustaceans: Scripta Geologica, 147:163-183  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 1 month later...

Hi DeeMoji I am from Louisiana and I have a large collection of Neozanthopsis americna.   I have included three pictures of  Neozanthopsis americana crab claws  The fourth one is yours  hopefully this will help.   

FC9DE5CA-A862-4BEF-9EF6-1640C035B974.jpeg

1 hour ago, DeeMoji said:

My crab is at @Ptychodus04 ‘s fossil lair on a waiting list to be freed! Y’all will get to see pictures soon :) 

:fingerscrossed: he’s whole 

I dropped some glue into the offending cracks and loose bits last night in anticipation of getting this started. I’m rotating time between 4 different prep jobs so progress will be slow.

No worries @Ptychodus04 ! I done care if it sits on your shelf a year before you can get to it. Please do your more important jobs first, 

Im not trying to rush you or anything, just letting people know I’ve sent it ;) 

8 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Done :rofl: I meant  don’t lol

I just thought you were typing with an old gangster movie accent. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

11 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

No worries @Ptychodus04 ! I done care if it sits on your shelf a year before you can get to it. Please do your more important jobs first, 

Im not trying to rush you or anything, just letting people know I’ve sent it ;) 

Rotating jobs helps keep the preparator from getting bored and tempted to rush through. :D

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

I just thought you were typing with an old gangster movie accent. :shrug:

I do talk funny :hearty-laugh:

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Rotating jobs helps keep the preparator from getting bored and tempted to rush through. :D

Oh, ok. I thought you did them one at a time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, piranha said:

Àlex, thanks for the updated classification of Neozanthopsis (=Harpactocarcinus) americanus.

Besides the reclassification, Schweitzer et al. 2014 also had to tweak the specific epithet as well:  Neozanthopsis americana (Rathbun, 1928)

Schweitzer, C.E., Feldmann, R.M. & Stringer, G.L. 2014

Neozanthopsis americana (Decapoda, Brachyura, Carpilioidea) from the middle Eocene Cane River Formation of Louisiana, USA and its associated teleost otoliths.

In: Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Mesozoic and Cenozoic Decapod Crustaceans: Scripta Geologica, 147:163-183  PDF LINK

:) ;)

• 4 years later...
54 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

@DeeMoji did a photo of the prepped crab ever get posted somewhere?

Don

I think @Ptychodus04 posted them in a thread on the prep of this crab if I recall correctly 

9 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I think @Ptychodus04 posted them in a thread on the prep of this crab if I recall correctly 

How can you guys remember these things? I didn’t even remember doing this prep. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1