Partial sand dollar with extra

daves64

I've had this for years, tucked away & had forgotten about it. Partial sand dollar with beautiful markings. Looking at it now, I see something on the underside that has me curious. At first they (2 of them) looked like small agates, which seemed odd. A closer look shows what appears to be something inside. There are the usual partial shells & probable steinkerns, but these 2 things are different. I've focused mainly on the larger of the two since it's easier to photograph for me, using a few different angles. I'll let you be the judge on them. Am I just seeing thing's or is there really something in there? Found on the NW Oregon coast.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Had to do 2 since I overloaded the limit... :shrug:

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

What you have is an ocean polished, original, calcium carbonate, sand dollar test that has bits of cemented, clinging, brown sand (old beach sand). The sand also contains polished, small, quartz pebbles (your agates) and bits of white shell hash. Similiar sand dollar fossils occur in the Pliocene/ Pleistocene Merced Fm. just south of San Francisco.

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.