Indian Vertebrate Paleontology

The Amateur Paleontologist

I noticed that in the wide world of vertebrate paleontology, not a lot of attention is given to India, despite some rather good Mesozoic (notably Triassic) vertebrate sites. I thought it would be nice to share this with the other TFF members, to promote a bit the advances in Indian vertebrate paleo: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Mesozoic-Microvertebrates

Some of the papers have the full text available.

What do you people think?

-Christian

• I found this Informative 3

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Not a lot of attention probably because not a lot of exciting finds have come from there.  Thanks for the link interested in seeing what their triassic looks like.

• I found this Informative 2

@Troodon I agree with you there - always find it interesting to learn about fossils from more "obscure" (paleontologically speaking) countries like Venezuela, Denmark or India :)

• I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Actually, I DO have links to a few papers on India in the 'Asia' section of my pdf library here on TFF.  It is a section that I've neglected for a while but I'll spend more attention on it starting today!  Here's a LINK.  Just scroll down until you get to the section for India.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 5

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Okay...I filled in a FEW of the holes in the section for India...but there are still a lot to go!  My fingers are getting tired from typing.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

On August 3, 2018 at 2:50 AM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I noticed that in the wide world of vertebrate paleontology, not a lot of attention is given to India, despite some rather good Mesozoic (notably Triassic) vertebrate sites. I thought it would be nice to share this with the other TFF members, to promote a bit the advances in Indian vertebrate paleo: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Mesozoic-Microvertebrates

Some of the papers have the full text available.

What do you people think?

-Christian

There have been some finds and papers on the subject of early whales (Eocene stuff) from India.  There's a good mainstream book on recent advances in the understanding of the earliest whales (Thewissen, 2014) with some of the action taking place there.  You can find some technical articles using "Thewissen" as a keyword.

Thewissen, J.G.M.  2014.

The Walking Whales: From Land to Water in Eight Million Years. University of California Press.  256 pages.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this 1999 paper relating to the Indian Triassic vertebrate fauna :) : Middle_Triassic_vertebrates_of_India.pdf

-Christian

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile