Florida Artifact Show Aug 25th

Shellseeker

Just found out about this today:

DO NOT FORGET THE ONLY ARTIFACT SHOW IN FLORIDA IS AT THE END OF THIS MONTH. SAT THE 25TH. LOTS OF FOSSILS AND ANTIQUE BOTTLES AS WELL.

WestCentralFossilShowFlyer.jpg.32246ce6dd76a5974304ed8c7e2a7303.jpg

3 weeks from tomorrow; I will be there mostly because I am starved for fossil related activities.  2830 Gulf Trace Blvd, Holiday, Florida, 34691 (just North of Tampa on the Gulf).

Plus my hunting buddy loves Artifacts and bottles

IMG_0641redcoral.jpg.c522355a3a8315c6eace1f4b0addd4bc.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Very nice point Jack. The red on the end almost makes it look like it found a fresh mark.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks Jack for this info! I've never been to an artifact show and I will try to make it. Is this just a one day event? Can you buy and/or trade?

Looks like fun. Too far away and just had back surgery so hope you can post some pics so I can enjoy vicariously. +1 for great point

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

The red on the end almost makes it look like it found a fresh mark

I agree. Wow.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Very nice point Jack. The red on the end almost makes it look like it found a fresh mark.

This point has a story.

Guy I hunt with, about my age, worked in the Bone Valley Phosphate mines in the 70s-90s.  That's him in this TFF thread. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86137-hunting-with-steve/&tab=comments#comment-930323

3-4 years back, he gave me this point as a Christmas present. It was broken but still gorgeous and I had a similar thought to yours plus I really liked the Tampa Bay or Withlacoochee coral. A year ago, I took it to the best artifact restorer I could find. No intention of selling, but will take it to this event to see if any dealers can correctly detect what the restoration. I just love it. A present from a friend that gets rave reviews.

A son, not that interested in my collections, has dibs on this one.  :D Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Bronzviking said:

Thanks Jack for this info! I've never been to an artifact show and I will try to make it. Is this just a one day event? Can you buy and/or trade?

I have not been to this one previously, but it is almost certainly a 1 day event.

It is all about buying, selling, trading... That is the whole purpose.

Since it is advertised as Artifacts, I would expect the 100 tables to be split 50 Artifacts, 30 Antique Bottles, 20 fossils.  There are dealers whose primary job is preparing for and attending these shows.

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jack, I got to the show and loved it! Did you go? The points were awesome and what craftsmanship! They were very informative, helpful and verified my Mastodon tooth cusp! :) Since posting that I've found 4 more small pieces in my collection...now that I know what to look for thanks to you guys! Here's a few pics of the show and a plate of goodies I bought. Mastodon skull and spine from the Kankakee Mastodon. @Shellseeker

IMG_20180826_124700.jpg

IMG_20180825_102936.jpg

IMG_20180825_123921.jpg

IMG_20180825_134208.jpg

IMG_20180825_134227.jpg

IMG_20180825_110539.jpg

Oh I bought a partial tusk of a Mastodon found in the Withlacoochee River (top of plate) to add to my display! :D

4 hours ago, Bronzviking said:

Hi Jack, I got to the show and loved it! Did you go? The points were awesome and what craftsmanship! They were very informative, helpful and verified my Mastodon tooth cusp! :) Since posting that I've found 4 more small pieces in my collection...now that I know what to look for thanks to you guys! Here's a few pics of the show and a plate of goodies I bought. Mastodon skull and spine from the Kankakee Mastodon.

Regretfully, I did not... my normal hunting buddy opted for a trip to a old friend's home fossil museum on Thursday over the Artifact show..  There were some goodies there also.

IMG_3132Mammoth.thumb.jpg.d574d76cae1808aff62ee1ac6e119fac.jpg

After your set of fantastic photos, I will be making this show next year. and also sorry to have missed meeting you.

I love your photos especially of the Florida Artifact case and the Mastodon spine.  I did manage to find a process and vert myself a couple of years back. Still have good memories. Never thought of placing them together until seeing your photo

MastodonProcess.jpg.d80ad2502e1f1a9c215e6eb82d0b5a95.jpgIMG_1453MastodonVert.thumb.jpg.845df2803f113f8474c974c70bfdd767.jpg

I really like your purchase... Mastodon tips are almost impossible to find, either while hunting or  at the shows... How about a closeup that shows more detail,  Thanks Jack

TuskTipTFF.JPG.2112af0a841a1e2962d86f929c1abed7.JPG

Hi  Jack, Sorry you didn't make it to the show but it looks like you found some good stuff at the fossil home! The guy told me that was a horse tooth above. Here's my partial tusk not a tip, but awesome! :) He said if the end has a cross-hatch pattern it's Mastodon; which it has. I read both Mammoth and Mastodon have this so how can we tell the difference? He said it had a squid mark on it. (circular pattern on curved side) I was curious why this is black in color? From the mineralization? Thanks, Lynn

DSC07717.JPG

DSC07719.JPG

DSC07721.JPG

DSC07723.JPG

Time to learn about Schreger lines... Here is a good TFF Thread:

After reading this thread, you can search TFF for Schreger and find all the discussions going back years...  Enjoy !!!

• I found this Informative 1