Crab Concretion prep, do I glue him?

DeeMoji

@dinodigger @Ptychodus04

It might be best to not prep this one until you have plenty of familiarity with the consolidants and prep techniques.  It is a very nice, uncommon specimen.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@dinodigger @Ptychodus04

It might be best to not prep this one until you have plenty of familiarity with the consolidants and prep techniques.  It is a very nice, uncommon specimen.

Wow really @JohnJ ? My 6 year old brought it to me, She was like “look mama, I found you another round one like you like!” I saw the claw and said she had done well and showed her it! She was pretty proud. 

So I should wait to learn more before I ruin it huh? 

1 minute ago, DeeMoji said:

Absolutely...in my opinion.  If you destroy it in the process of learning, you'll regret that it happened to such an uncommon find.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Absolutely...in my opinion.  If you destroy it in the process of learning, you'll regret that it happened to such an uncommon find.

Thank you! <3 I appreciate your being frank. 

Can you recommend me somewhere to start learning? 

Specifically maybe with some links? I’m having trouble navigating this forum on my phone. 

28 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Either that or send it to a professional prepper.

Would like to see pictures of the other rocks individually and from all sides.

They could also be crabby, but there is no guarantee.

There are some members here who are very familiar with crab concretions and may be able to tell which ones are likely to have a crab inside.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I’m sure you could send it to a pro and it would come back beautiful.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, DeeMoji said:

Is it quite expensive to send them to the pro’s? 

It can be reasonable, and sometimes You can work out a trade for services.

It can be quite expensive to set up a proper prep shop.

And it can be hard and time consuming to do it with pin vice and dental picks. (He says not knowing the matrix)

It is really Your choice, but a nice preparation can make a big difference in the end.

46 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Specifically maybe with some links? I’m having trouble navigating this forum on my phone. 

From the home menu go to the "fossil prep" page. You can also get there at the bottom of this page "go to topic listing/fossil preparation" on the left.

There is a "search" block at the top of the page (right side).

Type in "crab concretions" and You should get many threads on the subject. This should give You a good idea of what a good crab looks like when done.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on these.

24 minutes ago, ynot said:

Either that or send it to a professional prepper.

Great minds think alike :D

(fools seldom differ but we don’t talk about that)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I echo the experienced opinions above.  This is not the fossil to use to learn the ropes.  Your decision, but I'd suggest either prepping a few hundred fossils first, making the mistakes we all made along the way, then dig into this one with confidence, or pay to have it professionally prepped and start enjoying its full splendor a lot sooner.  I'd lean toward the latter.  It will be worth it, even more so once your increasing experience makes it more obvious that this is a special find that might not repeat soon.  Even if you can repeat the feat, this one was the first, and your family was involved, and you only get one bite of that apple...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

A quick way to find out what is what is to bag your goodies and walk through the nearest Federal building with a security x-ray at the front door.

My security guy got a kick out of the geodes on the screen that showed geodes with hollow spaces (keepers), and duds.

It would have to work with your crab concretions.  And Uncle Sam will not bill you.  And I've never heard a whisper of bother.

I would also suggest having this professionally prepared, and not just because I’m a preparator. All the sentiments above are true about the learning curve and expense of a proper prep setup. This is an easy one to wreck for sure.

@RJB is one of our premier crab preparators. You might be able to talk him into a contract prep (he typically only does his own stuff). If he doesn’t take the bait, feel free to send me a PM.

19 hours ago, ynot said:

Would like to see pictures of the other rocks individually and from all sides.

I can take more photos when I’m home :)