Crab Concretion prep, do I glue him?

DeeMoji

On 8/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, DeeMoji said:

My new little buddy needs some glueing it looks like. Can anyone tell what to use?

1521EE72-E52F-4BD2-982E-6182E8B966A8.jpeg

3A194527-A34D-4BF0-93DF-2A6B2853DC2A.jpeg

a stablizer i use paleo bond. Some also use star Bond a little cheaper than paleobond works just as good though.

• I found this Informative 1

@RJB the outside looks just like the outside of my crabby patty. Is it possible there’s like a shell, leaf, or some other fossil in it? 

15 minutes ago, DeeMoji said:

Is it possible there’s like a shell, leaf, or some other fossil in it? 

If anything is in it - I would think of crab.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'll reiterate what has already been said...if this your first prep work, save this/these specimens for later so you can gain experience and not damge it.  With regards to gluing, you could put a little thin super glue around the claw parts to stabilize them.  For what its worth I do prep work also.  If interested, I have done deals where in exchange for the work I would ask for specimen(s) for myself. 

Also..... is there anything I can do by myself (that won’t dammag anything, IF there is even anything inside) to help determine if they are empty? 

Cool finds! That exposed claw reminds me of Zanthopsis species, Eocene.

….text deleted by admin...

Cheers, A.

11.jpg

1.jpg

Also..... is there anything I can do by myself (that won’t dammag anything, IF there is even anything inside) to help determine if they are empty? 

You can guess by the shape of the concs, but that's a guess only (perfectly round ones are usually empty or have smaller fossils or parts inside, concretions with a little oval shape - egg shape like - are a good sign for crabs)... Also, sometimes (cross section of) legs are visible on the sides of conc (small circles aligned, don't really have a good picture, but to give you an idea - see example of tumidcarcinus concretion below). You can also split them, but I would avoid splitting the good concs, since most break through the specimen and that imho destroys the specimen (even if you reglue the pieces).

5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Y’all, I’ve FINALLY mailed me crabs to @Ptychodus04 to get him out of his patty!  He is a busy guy so he will get to him eventually, but we will have more pictures when my turn is up!! 

Whos excited?!?!  (I am :):):):):) )