Calymene trilobite

daves64

I think this is, or WAS a Calymene trilobite. Damaged due to bad prep & poor workmanship. A few grooves on the back that shouldn't be there & I think some of it is missing, but it was cheap. No idea where it came from exactly. Cheap labor equals cheap fossils I guess. :shrug:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

These are quite typical and common, and they regularly come out of nodules in the Anti-Atlas Mountains of Morocco. I would guess this is Flexicalymene ouzregui. There is a closely similar looking species of Colpocryphe

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

And of course the crack, grooves & shoddy work don't help with identification. But I can actually look inside it somewhat using a bright light & loupe. No squishy bits, so it's kind of boring, but hey, can't have everything. lol

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I thought that since this was basically a garbage fossil of sorts, I'd play around with it & see what I could do. it isn't perfect, but it's far better than it was. Turns out it wasn't even finished. I ended up with it in 4 pieces. The crack along the left side was 2 separate pieces. Broke a small bit off the front left "cheek" I guess you could call it. Currently it's held together with rubber cement. This is the 1st pic of it. Used a back shot like the original posting. Even found some actual spacing for the plates to shift over the one behind when moving. I'll get the rest of the pics later. I'm getting tired & I work tonight. Oh yeah, the break now fits together as it should due to no thick glue snarge. I think it looks a little better. :)

1.JPG

Forgot to add the other pics. :blush: It doesn't look as good as it probably could, but I've never done anything like this before & only had a needle & x-acto knife to work with for the most part.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Archived