Unknown Fossil

Perryw3

Hello, I'm new to this site and I don't know much about fossils. I have searched some trying to figure out what this rock is but have found nothing quite like it. If anyone can help me identify this I would greatly appreciate it.

20180803_185239.jpg

Welcome to TFF. That's a very unusual rock with the segmented veins. It looks plant-like to me, but I'll let someone else ID.

The guys will ask you where did you find it "location key" and size.

Thanks so much for your replies. I do not know the location, it was found at a thriftshop. It's about 3 inches tall, 3 inches wide, and 6 inches in diameter. Here's a picture of it cut open.

15333415219344528840761566382915.jpg

I'm with @Ludwigia for it being mineral veins. The lines on the outside continue through the interior in layers with only the edges visible on the surface.5b64f558d09f2_mineralveins.JPG.4cc9e55438e6db520d0b0bfcb27f6538.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

12 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is pareidolialy reminiscent of tripe. I suddenly have a craving for menudo. :P 

I can see the resemblance.

I don’t eat the stuff, but in college I use to work as a cashier clerk in a grocery store. Tripe was the worst thing I can remember coming down the conveyor belt. It often leaked all over the place making a nasty mess for me to clean up. 

7 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I don’t eat the stuff, but in college I use to work as a cashier clerk in a grocery store. Tripe was the worst thing I can remember coming down the conveyor belt. It often leaked all over the place making a nasty mess for me to clean up. 

It’s certainly nasty stuff as packed but I sure enjoy it in menudo.

27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is pareidolialy reminiscent of tripe. I suddenly have a craving for menudo. :P 

Now all we need is someone to send in photos of some fossilized onions, chiles and hominy.

Why is it that so many of our paleontology conversations turn into food conversations?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

36 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Now all we need is someone to send in photos of some fossilized onions, chiles and hominy.

Why is it that so many of our paleontology conversations turn into food conversations?

It’s just our compulsive nature... or we don’t eat enough.

Judging by my waistline, it’s door #1.

11 hours ago, supertramp said:

…any chance those are wrinkled algal plates with the wrinkling being original?

ciao

An interesting possibility.

14 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

14 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It’s just our compulsive nature... or we don’t eat enough.

Judging by my waistline, it’s door #1.

It's because we all love seafood and tripes (although i don't know what menudo means), mostly the ones with shells because we can make them looking fossilized and then shine in society, showing our science in paleontology.:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

10 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

It's because we all love seafood and tripes (although i don't know what menudo means), mostly the ones with shells because we can make them looking fossilized and then shine in society, showing our science in paleontology.:P

Menudo is a Mexican soup made from tripe with a spicy red broth. It is very good if you can stomach it.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Menudo is a Mexican soup made from tripe with a spicy red broth. It is very good if you can stomach it.

16 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Try to make my youngest son to eat tripes and you're sure he'll throw up. That's a pity, it can be soooo good well prepared.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

8 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Try to make my youngest son to eat tripes and you're sure he'll throw up. That's a pity, it can be soooo good well prepared.

My family swears I’m part vulture based on the things I have been known to eat. Many parts of an animal are delicious if one only gives them a chance.

I don't see the point in eating food that creates a challenge to keep down.

Haggis anyone?!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

38 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

My family swears I’m part vulture based on the things I have been known to eat. Many parts of an animal are delicious if one only gives them a chance.

You know what they say about pigs; they use everything but their smile. Hot dogs anyone?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I don't see the point in eating food that creates a challenge to keep down.

Haggis anyone?!

That’s my point, I don’t have any issues with any of it. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

35 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You know what they say about pigs; they use everything but their smile. Hot dogs anyone?

Now, you’re just making me hungry. After making hundreds of my own sausages, I am quite aware of what goes into them and I like them even more.

18 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Excellent note! :)

The specimen in question reminds me of stromatolites .

15333415219344528840761566382915.jpg.b341aa809639e9f2518a46b99d89a0f0.thumb.jpg.0a42c7976a3ac879b559be2178d4f018.jpgAS13004B.jpg.1e33eb6c6cd691e530c793fc66973246.jpg

comparative picture available in a Google search

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

20 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It is very good if you can stomach it.

Put some stomach in your stomach.

ea533330-d678-450e-8373-871abc0d1039_1.49c3c881288f958b16cfdc1f9afe4a0a.jpeg