Florida tooth

cavemanfl

11 hours ago, Bone guy said:

It looks like a Basilosaur.

I have never seen a confirmed find of a basilosaurus tooth found in Florida and certainly not in a surface creek in South Central Florida. I would dearly love to be proven wrong.

In this thread, Bobby identified a similar but smaller tooth, found 30-35 feet below present land surface in a phosphate mine, as a Large kentriodontid-grade dolphin tooth.  The 3+ inch size of this @cavemanfl tooth makes me pause.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86852-interesting-fossils/&tab=comments#comment-941713

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The area around the creek bank is about 12' from surface land to the water. In the land above the creek you can find fossils in the hog rooting. I thought it was crazy hogs were rooting up dugong ribs.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:00 PM, Bone guy said:

It looks like a Basilosaur.

Range: Three species of Basilosaurus are known, and specimens have been discovered in fossil sites in the southeastern United States (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee), ........................

Author: Robert Boessenecker and Jonathan Geisler

https://www.nyit.edu/medicine/basilosaurus_spp#

Hmmm.  I have been searching the net for references to Florida:  Found this above.

May have to retract that statement about no evidence of Basilosaurus in Florida.  Still searching for a paper that shows the telltale teeth.:headscratch:Some reference to Crystal River.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hah, I wrote that article about 7-8 years ago. Uhen (2013: Alabama Museum of Natural History Bulletin) in his review of the North American basilosaurid record shows a number of basilosaurid occurrences in Florida, including Basilosaurus cetoides and Basilosaurus sp.

• I found this Informative 1

I can say only that the preservation and the area makes it more likely that it's a Bone Valley whale tooth (one of the many sperm whale relatives ) than one of the ancient (Eocene) whales.  You get Late Eocene shark teeth like Carcharocles auriculatus in the Suwannee and a couple of other rivers in northern Florida.  Among those teeth whale stuff is only very rarely found.