Kansas Petrified Wood?

Torie

Found in Ellis county Kansas.

Saw a small section sticking out and when I started to wash it I saw there was quite a few packed into the rock. I was able to get most of the rock off (I’m thinking limestone maybe?). 

Are these all little pieces of petrified wood? They are grey in color, the largest piece being about half an inch across.  

The black rock is intriguing as well. There are small black specs all over and then the larger one, seen in the first picture. 

There are also also a few shells smashed into it, but they are pretty difficult to see. 

I have a few pictures showing the entire thing and some close ups. 

56FC204C-641E-4F9D-B13A-D387E7CC9FF9.jpeg

4C9B4564-A023-4C31-942E-F882F99A85F3.jpeg

The pieces that you suspect as being wood are the shell of a large clam known as inoceramids. The last photo shows the shells of smaller bivalves that often grew attached to the perimeter of their shells. The black material is likely pyrite, or a similar iron/sulfur mineral. 

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The pieces that you suspect as being wood are the shell of a large clam known as inoceramids. The last photo shows the shells of smaller bivalves that often grew attached to the perimeter of their shells. The black material is likely pyrite, or a similar iron/sulfur mineral. 

Oh wow! That’s so cool! Thank you so much! I have found other Inoceramids in the same area before. I can’t wait to find more, I’m a little obsessed now. Haha. 

Thank you again! :):) 

The celluloprismatic structure screams bivalve.  Inoceramids might be a good guess, I agree with Dale.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived