Indonesian Megalodon teeth

bcfossilcollector

Hi everyone. Just a quick question regarding Megalodon teeth from Indonesia. They appear to be quite uncommon as regards that location?  The few specimens I’ve seen recently appear to be of a very light coloration as well. Is this typical of Indonesian meg teeth?Will try to get photos.

Can't help with the answer to your question. 

But they're a very nice colour! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Ryann10006 likes to collects megs from different places, maybe he will know. They are kinda cool, I’d buy one if they were cheap enough just to have one from Indonesia.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Maybe @MarcoSr oe @siteseer can answer.

Most meg teeth from the Pacific are light colored.  I see a good number from French Polynesia, New Caledonia, South Pacific etc. Just look on ebay.  Some ebay teeth:

French Polynesia

image.thumb.png.3fd250b2b62692303fe3dc51dc1b6721.png

South Pacific

image.png.f5e474290629c6823be1016d59377921.png

Some shark teeth from Indonesia.  You can see the light color.

5b65e605b54ba_teethindonesia.thumb.jpg.33755beb3b3ce6f936e93178caf8db34.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I just looked up Indonesian teeth and the megs are pretty low priced, and the Glyphis too! I might get one myself too. Always looking for a low priced pacific/Indian Ocean  meg.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 hours ago, bcfossilcollector said:

Hi everyone. Just a quick question regarding Megalodon teeth from Indonesia. They appear to be quite uncommon as regards that location?  The few specimens I’ve seen recently appear to be of a very light coloration as well. Is this typical of Indonesian meg teeth?Will try to get photos.

I can't mention any dealer names but be very careful if you buy from Indonesian sellers.  Lots of stories on Facebook about folks not getting what they purchased or waiting a very long time to get anything.

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

@MarcoSr Thank you for the information.  I’m always interested in teeth from exotic locales. 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

I just looked up Indonesian teeth and the megs are pretty low priced, and the Glyphis too! I might get one myself too. Always looking for a low priced pacific/Indian Ocean  meg.

I think I’m going to be getting one. I’ll post a picture as soon as I can

I'd also be careful in your purchase ... the two Meg teeth shown look to be fairly heavily polished. Especially the second example. The first has some odd grinding cuts across either side of the burlette which makes me think it has been worked quite heavily as well. Pretty though. 

It is nice when the seller discloses those details. 

6 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I'd also be careful in your purchase ... the two Meg teeth shown look to be fairly heavily polished. Especially the second example. The first has some odd grinding cuts across either side of the burlette which makes me think it has been worked quite heavily as well. Pretty though. 

It is nice when the seller discloses those details. 

I agree.  A lot of the Pacific meg teeth are collected by deep dredging.  When dredged up they are often totally encrusted and often encrusted together in clusters.  I believe that grinding the crud off and then polishing the teeth is pretty standard.

Marco Sr.

@bcfossilcollector Yeah they appear to match the Indonesian meg scheme as far as I can see, and yeah be extra careful many seller will want you to wire them money, I would not do this and be extra cautious because this way easily and most often leads to getting scammed, make sure to ALWAYS pay safely through PayPal and NEVER send money as friends and family, always request an invoice so theres a way at least to get your money back if things go ary, best of luck!

@Ryann10006 thanks for the information. I’ve become quite interested in megs from exotic locales and have found your posts and images of your collection very informative!