DPS Ammonite

What are the plants in the photos from the Pennsylvania/Permian boundry from the Schnebly Hill Formation near Payson, Arizona that I am linking to my Arizona Paleontology Guide? Photos are from geology teacher Stan Celestian and were not found by me. (I'm going to look at the location for plants).

Thanks,

John

1 Annularia?  

Fossil Plants

2 Fern type?

Fossil Fern

3 Fern type?  

Fern Fossil

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Photos are from geology teacher Stan Celestian and were not found by me. (I'm going to look at the location for plants.

Hoo, hoo! Those are some beauts!

Good luck in your quest. Let us know how it went.  

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1. Annularia.

2. Pecopteris.

3 Neuropteris.

I think. :wacko:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I believe that 1.)Is actually  Asterophyllites equisetiformis - the pointed tips and the fact that the leaves spread only in one direction instead of in a circle differentiate it from Annularia. 

The other two are a little unclear- 2.) Looks more like Neuropteris, Odontopteris, or Alethopteris, but the preservation makes it unclear. 3.) I would say Pecopteris of some sort.

• I found this Informative 3

32 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

I believe that 1.)Is actually  Asterophyllites equisetiformis - the pointed tips and the fact that the leaves spread only in one direction instead of in a circle differentiate it from Annularia. 

I had assumed it was preservational, but they are obviously quite one sided.

Please PM me if anyone has access to these refs about the flora from the Mogollon Rim locality that should help ID them: 

J. E. Canright and E. B. Blazey. (1974). A Lower Permian flora from Promontory Butte, central Arizona. In S.R. Ash(ed.), Guidebook to Devonian, Permian and Triassic Plant Localities, East-central Arizona. Paleobotanical Section, Botanical Society of America, 25th Annual AIBS Meeting 57-62 [H. Sims/S. Ostrowski]

Blazey, E.B., (1974), Fossil flora of the Mogollon Rim, central Arizona: Palaeontographica, v. B146, p. 1-20.

Thanks,

John

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Please PM me if anyone has access to these refs about the flora from the Mogollon Rim locality that should help ID them: 

J. E. Canright and E. B. Blazey. (1974). A Lower Permian flora from Promontory Butte, central Arizona. In S.R. Ash(ed.), Guidebook to Devonian, Permian and Triassic Plant Localities, East-central Arizona. Paleobotanical Section, Botanical Society of America, 25th Annual AIBS Meeting 57-62 [H. Sims/S. Ostrowski]

Blazey, E.B., (1974), Fossil flora of the Mogollon Rim, central Arizona: Palaeontographica, v. B146, p. 1-20.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet... interlibrary loan emo73.gif :P

http://www.worldcat.org/title/guidebook-to-devonian-permian-and-triassic-plant-localities-east-central-arizona/oclc/1029978129&referer=brief_results

http://www.worldcat.org/title/palaeontographica-abteilung-b-palaophytologie-palaeobotany-palaeophytology/oclc/829253187&referer=brief_results

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png