Edestus sp.

Bone guy

This is a sketch of Edestus, a 300 million year old shark from the Carboniferous. This is one of my favorite Carboniferous creatures, because it's a shark with scissor jaws! :D 

This was a fun project because remains of edestus are limited to jaws so I have the creative freedom to make the animal look any way I'd like. To make the skull I incorporated some goblin shark elements. I feel like a goblin shark with scissor jaws would be quite terrifying! I did however make some changes because I did not want the end result to end up looking just like a goblin shark. The eyes are inspired by the Mako shark. I think the huge eyes make for a creepy looking animal. The body is also mako inspired. 

The most frustrating step in this drawing was making the shadows. I wanted the white belly to have a shadow but if I made the shadow to dark it would appear as a dark colored belly. 

Overall i I like how it came out. I think the skull may need some work but that's why I'm posting here so I could get some opinions! :) 

IMG_1130.JPG

Great technique! :dinothumb:In terms of making the belly "pop" to appear brighter, perhaps two things I can think of: 1. Use an eraser to lighten a band, but not directly at the bottom, and only a small line a little above the bottom to provide a kind of incident lighting effect, or; 2. Darken everything else so that it will contrast and juxtapose more. But if it were me, I wouldn't change it. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Mostly it looks real good.

The tail seems out of position with the fins. and the curve of the mandible and snout seems wrong (should be straighter.).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Very nice! :)

Wish I had the ability to draw like that. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived