Tidgy's Dad

My hammer is my friend. 

I love my hammer. 

Give your hammer a name. 

Mine is Harry (after my dad) 

Raggedy Man

hulk_smash___drs_request___fin_colors_by_eryckwebbgraphics-da5etce.thumb.jpg.16dd1440cd7fe664f73cd3124599f74b.jpg

Though I prefer the following method...

4476079-2963296648-40223.jpg.ac71356b100dadd6c0c2d80bcf396d33.jpg

Bone guy
18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Mine is Harry (after my dad) 

So Harry is Tiddy's dad's dad and Tidgy's great grand dad. :P 

Bobby Rico

Very useful post indeed . Some top tips. That reminds me I do need a new hammer I just bought my freind one for his birthday. 

Kane I think this could be a good post  to be pinned.

Cheers Bobby

Raggedy Man
20 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Very useful post indeed . Some top tips. That reminds me I do need a new hammer I just bought my freind one for his birthday. 

Kane I think this could be a good post  to be pinned.

Cheers Bobby

I agree. In all seriousness, these are great tips to ensure you're able to stay healthy for years huntin fossils without injury caused by repetitive hammer swings. Last fall I smashed my leg with a 4 lb sledge blow that glanced off a piece of rock I was splitting. I had a golf ball sized welt on my tibia for months. I now use shin guards...lol

WhodamanHD

One underestimated how important hammering is in respects to fossil hunting, an offense I am guilty of.

I used a screw driver instead of a chisel for longer than I care to admit. Don’t do it. And get a geologic hammer, it is amazing just how much a difference it makes. 

Kane
Just now, WhodamanHD said:

One underestimated how important hammering is in respects to fossil hunting, an offense I am guilty of.

I used a screw driver instead of a chisel for longer than I care to admit. Don’t do it. And get a geologic hammer, it is amazing just how much a difference it makes. 

I started with a claw hammer and a wood chisel. :doh!: The fact that I didn't get injured was the only silver lining; my ability to bust rock effectively with those kinds of tools was horrible, and thus the finds were very limited. 

Innocentx

You are a wealth of information, @Kane, and much appreciated for sharing it!

Fossildude19

Topic has been Pinned! 

Excellent information for not only those who have no prior experience with using a hammer to bust up rocks, but even those who have long thought they knew enough about hammering. :)

Well done, sir. 

Raggedy Man
1 hour ago, Innocentx said:

You are a wealth of information, @Kane, and much appreciated for sharing it!

Absolutely 100% agree with you. I always look forward to Kanes posts and the seeing his finds especially since where he hunts coincides with the ordovician I hunt. I do get :envy:sometimes because the matrix he works with is much easier to deal with than with the matrix (dolomitic limestone) I work with. The trilobites seems to preserve better than the preservation bias we deal with down here. I wish I knew this information or bother to look it up when I started getting into this addiction. I actually developed ulnar neuropathy and had to stop "laying the hammer down" for a while to allow the nerves to heal. Through trial and error I've learned to let the hammer do the work and not to force the split. Hopefully the next time im at Penn Dixie Kane is able to come down for some fun. I've heard some amazing stores from Devonian Digger about Kane and would love to see the "human backhoe" at work ...and maybe even learn something new I can utilize in my neck of the woods. Thanks again Kane for posting this!

Best regards,

Paul

Walt
7 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Absolutely 100% agree with you. I always look forward to Kanes posts and the seeing his finds especially since where he hunts coincides with the ordovician I hunt. I do get :envy:sometimes because the matrix he works with is much easier to deal with than with the matrix (dolomitic limestone) I work with. The trilobites seems to preserve better than the preservation bias we deal with down here. I wish I knew this information or bother to look it up when I started getting into this addiction. I actually developed ulnar neuropathy and had to stop "laying the hammer down" for a while to allow the nerves to heal. Through trial and error I've learned to let the hammer do the work and not to force the split. Hopefully the next time im at Penn Dixie Kane is able to come down for some fun. I've heard some amazing stores from Devonian Digger about Kane and would love to see the "human backhoe" at work ...and maybe even learn something new I can utilize in my neck of the woods. Thanks again Kane for posting this!

Best regards,

Paul

After messaging with @Kane a few times, reading his posts, and looking at his website I have reached the conclusion Kane is not human and is, in fact, a cyborg endowed with the knowledge of the universe.  How else can one man do so much in one day or know so much.  Seriously though....yeah, robot. :rofl:

Kane
45 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Thanks again Kane for posting this!

Any time, Paul! :) I'm hoping we'll get a chance to break some rock together at PD, maybe this autumn! 

And thanks, all. :dinothumb: If there's one thing I love to do, it's hammering! :D 

RJB

I never would have thought that one could write more than a sentence or two about a hammer but this is purty good stuff.  Good on ya Kane.  As for #3 Guarding against injury,  I myself have used all kinds and sizes of hammer including sledge hammers.   Im my early days and with some very large concretions I would wear shorts in the summertime.  One day whilst swinging one of my sledges, the rock exploded and a small but very sharply pointed piece going at bullet speed went into my shin.  I had to wiggle it to get it out of my shin bone.  I always wore pants after that. 

RB