Identification Help Please - Shark Tooth from Seagrove Beach, FL

MaximusTN

Please help identify this tooth found week before last at Seagrove Beach, FL in the Florida Panhandle. This little gem was the only tooth I found all week there.

The tooth is smaller than the size of an M&M and has a notch in the middle at the top of the root. There appear to be serrations all along the tooth and in the area just below the root.

Thanks

IMG_2440.jpg

A Carcharhinid.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

22 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

A Carcharhinid.

Yes, a Grey, Dusky, or Silky Shark lateral.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The tooth could be a Carcharhinus but I think it is more likely a Sphyrna (hammerhead) lateral tooth.  Below is an extant Sphyrna mokarran (Great Hammerhead Shark) upper lateral tooth as an example.  A number of extant hammerhead shark species have very similar serrated teeth.

image.thumb.jpeg.e01e12797a90bb31404d97896f6ffdff.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9dc263fd4627703b011e7298cdaf005d.jpeg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

I think it could be Carcharhinus plumbeus, the sandbar shark.

Eric

Below is an extant C. plumbeus dentition from J-elasmo which looks like the teeth in the extant sandbar shark jaws that I have.

5b664d66d660d_CarcharhinusplumbeusYajibukaSandbarshark.thumb.jpg.bcb871c6851a07a258dbfddad8c45632.jpg

Marco Sr.. 

• I found this Informative 1

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Looks like a Carcharhinus falciformis AKA Silky shark

The best days are spent collecting fossils

8 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Eric

Below is an extant C. plumbeus dentition from J-elasmo which looks like the teeth in the extant sandbar shark jaws that I have.

I should have looked at my references first, the distal side of this tooth is different than the Sandbar Shark. When comparing this tooth with modern Carcharhinus from the book “Field guide for the sharks of the genus Carcharhinus”, the Blacknose Shark looks very similar (Carcharhinus acronotus).

0B143937-A3A4-4653-9316-FB2EE4A06172.jpeg

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I should have looked at my references first, the distal side of this tooth is different than the Sandbar Shark. When comparing this tooth with modern Carcharhinus from the book “Field guide for the sharks of the genus Carcharhinus”, the Blacknose Shark looks very similar (Carcharhinus acronotus).

0B143937-A3A4-4653-9316-FB2EE4A06172.jpeg

Eric

C. acronotus looks like a very good match and its extant range includes the Florida panhandle.  However it is so hard to id a loose tooth from pictures.  There can be so many possibilities.  This tooth could also be a Rhizoprionodon. Edit  Adult Rhizoprionodon teeth of some species are serrated or can be serrated but may be too small to be the tooth in the post. There are multiple genera that the posted tooth could be.  I have a good number of teeth in my collection that I'm not sure of the id.

Marco Sr.

Thank you all for the input. It does look a lot like the great hammerhead shark example above, but I can see characteristics in all of the other shark species. I was just thrilled to have come across this tooth after reading that shark teeth were more miss and than hit in the Panhandle.