Strange Manasota Key Shells or Fish Bone?

Bronzviking

Hi Fossil and rock hounds, I found this strange looking piece when looking through my shark teeth. Found it on Manasota Key beach, Florida. I thought it was some vertebrae bone but than I saw 2 barnacles in what might be a grouping of shells. It also has pockets of limestone and small black bones or rocks cemented in some of the pockets and has some weight to it. It is about 2x2". Posted 5 photos of different angles. Has anybody ever seen anything like this? What is it? Thanks All.

DSC076571.jpg

DSC076521.jpg

DSC076531.jpg

DSC076541.jpg

DSC076551.jpg

I’m with Eric, the rest have eroded away:) 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

you have to imagine broken barnacles and a fairly complete one within the broken ones. The black bits are phosphatic elements usually concentrated in lag deposits. Shark teeth are also concentrated in these lag deposits.

Have you ever seen a coral reef? For the most part barnacles made up a reef in part. The other structures you are seeing are spaces that used to have barnacles but died or wore away through fossilization and erosion.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

So what your saying is this was just a vehicle for the barnacles to attach too? Is this considered a fossil?

Thanks for all the feedback! :)

Yep, you've got basically the core left. congrats they are interesting little forms. every once in awhile you'll find an unbroken grouping. The lower portions of the plates seem to hold up better as they are a bit thicker than the upper surfaces and are usually the last remnants when getting rolled over or around and tumbled. 

IMG_20180806_202001.thumb.jpg.5c06f02b60d45f42eec19172dc99f166.jpg5b690b3ce7762_FossilbarnacleremainsSarasotaCounty.thumb.jpg.e23087972f7e4ae9bb119e21a9ed7dfb.jpg

5b690a8fc1304_Barnacleclusterandprojecteddamagebreakageinred.thumb.jpg.b9ff736f960148ec3325ef80e8234223.jpg

Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris for the info and photos! I can visualize it much better now. :)

Archived