I like. Big. ‘Noids. (And I cannot lie) ~ Sir Picks-a-Lot

Uncle Siphuncle

Between honeydos this weekend, the Cenomanian Crevasse sang its siren’s song again, tickling my ears, and I was helpless to the call. I will take my buddies with me soon, but the 30 minutes spent solo on site this weekend were pure bliss.

On gloves and kneepads I navigated the hummocky surface of the Mainstreet limestone, tapping the pregnant humps with my hand sledge, listening for hollow thuds, and flipping some easy splits.  Neithea scallops and Waconella brachiopods were only outnumbered by Ilymayogyra oysters.  But I was after a few things a bit less common.

One fortuitous blind flip triggered a spontaneous “Tim the Tool Man” chortle as I spotted 2 big whorls of a Mariella ammonite, with perhaps a third diving into the rock.  Prep will tell.  But this was just a warmup.

1CBEB10E-7465-47D8-83E2-599BD0903C61.png

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

With nose to the ground, I noticed a nice 2 inch Coenholectypus echinoid sticking out of the bedrock like a crashed, camouflaged little space ship.  This was the best echinoid I had found at the site in years.  Please enjoy the pics, in-situ and after light prep.  The marcasite encrustation adds some mystique that I think I’ll leave in place.

A lesser Coenholectypus and smaller Mariella rounded out my take but alas, such fleeting adventures must come to an end, and I must pay into the system before my next one.  An hour later I was on a ladder cleaning leaves out of my mother-in-law’s gutters, but Ma’ Nature’s sweet song will soon enough draw me deep into the Texas Outback where I belong.

DE7C26A4-3DCE-432A-A8DF-AD047DBE79B1.png

63D8B9F1-0B2B-4E8A-9CB1-21B11FFAC144.png

8049B5CF-964C-46D0-A30F-24D0453132C8.png

• I found this Informative 5

Grüße,

Got ahead of myself.  Echie in situ.

62B3BE7A-B3AA-4FBA-A7AC-2DE75EAC397B.png

2F8D2072-334B-4CD8-8D98-02F2D78E9E76.png

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

So you're still taking all those old dead things home with you even after all the times I've chided you about it!  I guess some people will NEVER learn! :ighappy:  Back in Germany, I had a cat that did that and we could never break him of the habit.  He brought us everything from rats, mice and voles to squirrels and small rabbits on occasion.  The one thing he never DID master was hedgehogs...and I suppose they're kind of like terrestrial echinoids!

Looks like you found some real goodies there!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Those are some nice colors in there!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I need to find a day I can head to Texas. Everything from NSR to this is just screaming my name, but for now I'm bound by school.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

46 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

So you're still taking all those old dead things home with you even after all the times I've chided you about it!  I guess some people will NEVER learn! :ighappy:  Back in Germany, I had a cat that did that and we could never break him of the habit.  He brought us everything from rats, mice and voles to squirrels and small rabbits on occasion.  The one thing he never DID master was hedgehogs...and I suppose they're kind of like terrestrial echinoids!

Looks like you found some real goodies there!

-Joe

My boy said I should rig up our cat with saddlebags and take him collecting.

Grüße,

35 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

My boy said I should rig up our cat with saddlebags and take him collecting.

Cats usually don't appreciate things being put on them. You will likely turn it into a bucking bronco cintching a saddle bag on it. :wacko:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Great finds as usual! Are those spines on the back of the echinoid? Will you show us the ammos once prepped? :popcorn:

Just a broken Neithea.

Grüße,

Looks like Your new mailbox has all the good fossils wanting to come and see it.  

Nice finds.

I really like the echinoid and with the crystals  just makes it that much more likable!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.