Snake fossil?

Ozarkia

I found this in a rubble pile in my back yard today - South West Missouri. I am definitely a noob but I haven't found anything like this before. Could it be a small snake fossil?

snake skin.png

Hard to make it out in the dark crevice, but it may possibly be a fenestellate bryozoan.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It wouldn't surprise me if it was something man-made. The surrounding stone looks like it could be cement rest or even some sort of slag.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was something man-made. The surrounding stone looks like it could be cement rest or even some sort of slag.

Hm. Now that you mention it, you may be on to something. That "snakeskin" might just be some kind of plastic or similar mesh sticking out of construction material. The edge looks too straight, as if machine-cut, and the "pores" a little too uniform. 

Thank you! The "fossil" doesn't feel man-made and there are other fossils, like crinoid stems (those I am sure about!), in the larger rock (I just zoomed in on the one I was interested in) so I'm pretty sure its not cement.

Thanks, Kane! The pattern does seems to match what I found on google images for fenestellate bryozoan. The long narrow shape made me think snake but probably that was just an illusion!

I would love to see a picture of the entire rock, and other parts of it where the crinoid bits would be -- just to make sure. :) If there are crinoids, then we can probably rule out snake, as those would be marine. Perhaps some other treasures lurk on the rest of the rock! :fingerscrossed:

5 minutes ago, Ozarkia said:

The long narrow shape

Could be taphonomic. Sometimes only a thin horizon is preserved.

Here is the whole rock. A wider angle with the largest crinoid (assuming I am right!) in the foreground. Thanks!

snake skin 1.jpg

1 minute ago, Ozarkia said:

Here is the whole rock. A wider angle with the largest crinoid (assuming I am right!) in the foreground. Thanks!

snake skin 1.jpg

That looks to be a crinoid stem which definitely indicates that this is not modern. There seems to be a lot of other fossils included in there as well. Here is a pic of my own similar bryzoan colonies.

image.jpg

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

That's it (fenestrate). The angle of perspective was just a bit too shallow.

Looks like it was a cross section through the thinnest side of the fan.

For reference here's what they look like front on.

Link

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Visualize a broken 'strip' of this fenestrate bryozoan:

~~.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Visualize a broken 'strip' of this fenestrate bryozoan:

~~.jpg

Do the hole patterns in the fenestrate bryozoans differ by animal or species?  A close up view of pic #1 shows a different shape to my untrained eye. Too.....honeycombed for lack of a better word.

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

looks like bryozoa to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

21 minutes ago, Walt said:

Do the hole patterns in the fenestrate bryozoans differ by animal or species?  A close up view of pic #1 shows a different shape to my untrained eye. Too.....honeycombed for lack of a better word.

Yes, they differ by species. The size of the openings and branches help determine the genus and species of fenestrate bryzoans. 

Source

Archived