Bone? From Uk Greensand (Wiltshire)

Durfun

The attached object was found sitting on top of the soil in a wheat field in the Pewsey Vale. This river valley is mostly Greensand surrounded by chalk and clay downland.

I'm not sure if it is a bone - it's approximately 3.5 inches at it's widest. It does appear to have striations and a central 'core' of mineralized material. It also appears to have notches which may have attached tendons? Given it's size, I'm not sure what sort of animal it would have come from. I'm not entirely sure where on the body it would have come from either - on a human skeleton the only bone that ends in this cup shape is the radius/elbow joint?

Any help/comments would be appreciated :) thank you.

post-2168-12517365362768_thumb.jpg

post-2168-12517365455562_thumb.jpg

post-2168-12517365576168_thumb.jpg

The attached object was found sitting on top of the soil in a wheat field in the Pewsey Vale. This river valley is mostly Greensand surrounded by chalk and clay downland.

I'm not sure if it is a bone - it's approximately 3.5 inches at it's widest. It does appear to have striations and a central 'core' of mineralized material. It also appears to have notches which may have attached tendons? Given it's size, I'm not sure what sort of animal it would have come from. I'm not entirely sure where on the body it would have come from either - on a human skeleton the only bone that ends in this cup shape is the radius/elbow joint?

Any help/comments would be appreciated :) thank you.

It looks too shallow to be the end of a radius but I see what you mean and thought the same thing on first glance. It could be one end of a vertebra. It's hard to say as it is weathered as well as just a partial.

Archived