Real or Fake Spinosaurus tooth

Patient113

New to buying fossils and need some help. My friends birthday is coming up and her favorite dinosaur is a spinosaurus so I bought her two teeth on ebay. The listing says they are authentic "rooted" spinosaurus teeth with no "restore". I have read online that sometimes people will attach cement to the bottom of the teeth and I'm wondering if that's what they did here. I have two weeks to return them so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the support!

IMG_2384.PNG

IMG_2379.PNG

IMG_2386.PNG

IMG_2383.PNG

Yes I call it the acetone test mix it 95 percent acetone to 5 PVA will stabilize the fossil it's self while dissolving any sand glue, be prepared if you do this the seller wont want it back, if they are dubious, and I can tell by looking at it the root is not real sadly this is becoming a more and more frequent occurrence my advice would be to buy from a reputable online dealer. Of which there are a few I deal with that sell American and Moroccan fossil material.

Thanks Matt

@Troodon mentioned this tooth on one of his posts, yes the root is fake. I think the tooth itself is real but the tip might be a bit restored(not sure).

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I've seen this an another one listed.  Don't disagree a classic case of let's add a root to a perfectly fine tooth to make it bigger. Although I do think the tip has been reattached but it does not really matter RETURN the tooth.  Unfortunately the seller may not know what he has and may have purchased the tooth in good faith like you did. 

IMG_2383.thumb.PNG.75021c10027e92da059e3a65d9f1bf86.jpg.ce5e64c6b2f2ff472f9772e1381a8dbc.jpg

I would not try to test it, may affect the return. The test is us looking at it :D  Roots taper all around and are hollow.  The bottom root, lower photo,  also shows a slight depression left there by the replacement tooth. 

Example of one

5b682993cace5_SpinoT5A-D16V.thumb.jpg.4554f9f5ff4af2c2ec8479e55136f9c6.jpg

SpinoT5 - D16V.jpg

The "no restore" is belied by visual inspection of the photo, which is a red flag all by itself.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

IMG_2383.thumb.PNG.75021c10027e92da059e3a65d9f1bf86.jpg.ce5e64c6b2f2ff472f9772e1381a8dbc.jpg

exactly .. beware of ALL rooted teeth from Kem Kem formations .. they are uber rare and nowadays they recently discovered that they can really get double the price when they fix anything like a root on it .. this is going to get worst in near future...

Archived