TNGray

I found this in the layers well above the trilobite bed at the Beecher's Bed Quarry in NY. It appears to be a segmented worm. I welcome opinions. Its about 5 cm long and 2 mm wide. The photos of the ends are taken through a microscope.

worm_3_all.jpg

worm_3_head.jpg

worm_3_tail.jpg

Certainly looks worm-like to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very interesting. Given the soft bodied preservation at Beechers it's definitely possible. I'm interested to see if we can get this solved. 

• I found this Informative 2

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Possible Ordovician worm? ... or maybe alga?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Possible Ordovician worm? ... or maybe alga?

Graptolite??

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Seeing a lot of Ordovician Acorn worm fossils on Google. Even one from Beechers. 

Are there any distinctive segments near either end?

Am i crazy for seeing this?

20180806_185224.jpg.6bfe79155df686b75972235f028ed91f.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

support for my thinking

worm_3_tail.jpg.66f94f665f045ba4edcdaa3033876e3d.thumb.jpg.39a3dc7f7c24bbbd7d601c4eccda5d0e.jpgcalliarthron_segments2.jpg.dab09c9afba81fa8b791f608cb8382f1.jpg

comparative picture from here

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

very cool fossil, maybe a worm

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

10 hours ago, Auspex said:

Graptolite??

I wouldn't dismiss this so easily. The openings could be on the reverse side, and colonies commonly have a distinct structure on one end.

Doing a little research on the known Ordovician worm physiology, the algae proposition seems a likely answer.  I see no chaetes or bristles. 

Mastigograptus laevis

The essential features of this species would then be, so far as known at present: Rhabdosome of large size, of flexuous appearance, the slender stems uniformly thick for great distances (about 0.8 mm thick); the branching monopodial or lateral, apparently rather infrequent.  Main stipes bear large apertures, reaching the width of the stipe and circular to transverse elongate in outline; irregularly arranged, about 10 in 10 mm.  HORIZON AND LOCALITY: In the Frankfort shale at Six Mile creek and below the Delta dam near Rome, Oneida Co.; and near Holland Patent; in the Deer river shale at Mill creek, Turin, N.Y. , and Whetstone gulf near Martinsburg, N.Y.  It has not been observed in the true Utica shale at Holland Patent.

text and figures from:

Ruedemann, R. 1925

The Utica and Lorraine Formations of New York: Part II: Systematic Paleontology.
New York State Museum Bulletin, 262:1-171   LINK

image.thumb.png.323b6fda31804a823590188ba86a8364.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png