Need help to ID

dodo4

I found this walking the beach near South Ponte Vedra. The texture, the little black cylinders, made me pick it up. What is it?

Thank you!

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

15 minutes ago, dodo4 said:

I found this walking the beach near South Ponte Vedra. The texture, the little black cylinders, made me pick it up. What is it?

Thank you!

The look so regular ... I wonder if it is a hunk of asphalt or something ?  The layering and uniform shape of the little 'pebbles' makes me think it is man-made but maybe someone else who recognizes it as something else will chime in.

Cheers,

Brett

3 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

The look so regular ... I wonder if it is a hunk of asphalt or something ?  The layering and uniform shape of the little 'pebbles' makes me think it is man-made but maybe someone else who recognizes it as something else will chime in.

Cheers,

Brett

I have never seeing asphalt having this kind of granules Brett, but I am no expert, neither in asphalt nor fossils :-)

Didn't we just have something like this shown for ID recently? I seem to remember little blunt ended cylinders just like these.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

+1 for arthropod coprolites.

Modern Ghost shrimp pellets.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with fossildude19

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Yep, arthropod coprolites. If one of the ends are exposed, you may see different shaped canals in them if you look at it under a microscope. That type are classified as Favreinidae and are attributed to crustaceans such as shrimp or crayfish. They really are fascinating. Here are some from a previous thread.

Archived