Looks for hunting tips in Bradenton/Sarasota Florida

dgs2813

Hi everyone,

I moved to Clearwater a while ago but I work right between Bradenton and Sarasota. I’d like to start doing some little creek hunts or similar after work but I have been having trouble finding good locations. If you can help point me in a the right direction I would really appreciate it. Or, if you are local and would like to join me that would be great as well! 

Thanks in advance

This website has very old information, (Very likely to be inaccurate now)  but it could be a starting point for your research. 

Good luck. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello, while I cannot help you with your quest for a better hunting site, your quest for others to join you is a great start. Many people, including myself, are reluctant to share our site information. Sites typically become less productive over time when more people know about them. However, creating a good repore and asking others to join you will get you invitations to join others at their sites. I would also skim the Flordia subsection and look for sites close to where you wish to hunt. Sometimes the creek name is left out, but with a little deductive reasoning you can find it through clues in their posts. I hope this helps you find better sites and create some lasting friendships with our fellow forum members. I always look forward to helping with the people I've met through TFF.

...I'm back.

11 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

Hello, while I cannot help you with your quest for a better hunting site, your quest for others to join you is a great start. Many people, including myself, are reluctant to share our site information. Sites typically become less productive over time when more people know about them. However, creating a good repore and asking others to join you will get you invitations to join others at their sites. I would also skim the Flordia subsection and look for sites close to where you wish to hunt. Sometimes the creek name is left out, but with a little deductive reasoning you can find it through clues in their posts. I hope this helps you find better sites and create some lasting friendships with our fellow forum members. I always look forward to helping with the people I've met through TFF.

Thanks for the advice! I’d love to meet some good people on here as much as I’d like to find some good fossils!

14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

This website has very old information, (Very likely to be inaccurate now)  but it could be a starting point for your research. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the link! This has some good beach spots but fossils from those locations seem to get damaged as they get pushed around in the waves. I do currently like hunting on the beaches as it’s a easy excuse to go chill on the water!

There are quite a few fossil clubs in Florida. I had the pleasure of hunting with the Tampa Bay Fossil Club a few years back. they are close to you!!!

Most creeks are too deep to hunt this time of year but any construction sites where they're digging lakes is worth checking out:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

42 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Most creeks are too deep to hunt this time of year but any construction sites where they're digging lakes is worth checking out:)

I see a lot of people doing that online, and I drive by what looks like a big one near Manatee Memorial every day. However, I really don’t want to get in trouble going somewhere I’m not allowed to be. Are you local to the area?

43 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

I joined them on Facebook but haven’t had a chance to go to any meetings or join them on a field trip, I’m hoping to be more active with them when things pick back up in the fall.

Trespassing on active construction sites is 2 Felonies in Florida so you may want to think twice!

35 minutes ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Trespassing on active construction sites is 2 Felonies in Florida so you may want to think twice!

Wow did not know that, I think I’ll pass 

1 hour ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

I’m assuming you’re from the state, do you have any tips on where is legal and productive to hunt?

Do you dive?  Venice is a favorite dive area.

You can pick teeth from the beach as well, I've done it from Siesta Key down to Manasota beach but they are surf worn.

CavemanFL has posted some good luck hunting around the Peace during rainy season (now) so it is still possible.

Don't forget to apply for your fossil license with the state if you want to keep mammal stuff.

Usually in the end of dry season TFF will have a group meet up on the Peace.

4 hours ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

You can pick teeth from the beach as well, I've done it from Siesta Key down to Manasota beach but they are surf worn.

CavemanFL has posted some good luck hunting around the Peace during rainy season (now) so it is still possible.

Don't forget to apply for your fossil license with the state if you want to keep mammal stuff.

I can dive but I haven’t tried diving down in Venice yet. Not sure if that is an option right now with the horrible red tide. 

Hunting the beaches is the only success I’ve had down here so far. It’s fun but I never find anything too worthwhile. 

Id like to hit the peace some time, maybe I can go with a club so they can show me the ropes. 

10 hours ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

I have a couple creek spots that are accessible. It took quite a bit of leg work to find them and got in many many that the water was either too high or just didn't produce. There are some big lizards in one of the creeks and it has a few stretches of deeper wading, it definitely keeps you on high alert. 

I like land sites but good ones with access that isn't too dicey are getting fewer and fewer. 

This high water is bound to make outlaw hunters out of quite a few Florida hunters when the itch gets too bad. Hahaha 

(Definitely not recommending or encouraging any illegal activity)

Archived