Old Fossil Hull

Gimme

This is a unique looking items from my fathe r's collection of (maybe) fossils found in the Eastern part of Massachussetts near coastlines. I was wondering if this is special or even a fossil at allIMG_1749.thumb.JPG.419035411bb7c005011d1ff941c9ee27.JPG. Thanks.

If it is not limestone, (check harhdness) which I do not think that it is, it is orbicular rhyolite/jasper. Quartz and feldspar sometimes crystalize in radiating needles in silicious volcanic rocks. See Google images: https://www.google.com/search?q=orbiculaR+RHYOLITE&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiapcHq2NvcAhWTJHwKHZfiA7QQ_AUICigB&biw=1152&bih=654  See image from Gemgazer.com.Image result for orbiculaR RHYOLITE

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

, it is orbicular rhyolite/jasper. Quartz and feldspar sometimes crystalize in radiating needles in silicious volcanic rocks.

I thought that also, but eastern Massachussetts  is not known for volcanic rock.  

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

25 minutes ago, ynot said:

I thought that also, but eastern Massachussetts  is not known for volcanic rock

Just upwind glacially speaking there is a whole lot of granite. Some of that could have made it to the surface back in the day.

This looks igneous, or extremely metamorphic  to me.

Maybe it's a Pisolite (made of Pisoids). Here is a comparative specimen from Arkansas, which is labeled as pisolitic bauxite.

IMG_1749.JPG.ad97cd595ae495d1aa262b479a45b27d.thumb.JPG.60df0dafaa57e0e230342bdfdd328e5b.JPG5b6a112a92ec4_Chertified_pisolitic_bauxite_(wet_cut_surface_11.7_cm_across)_from_Arkansas_USA.jpg.5fddd28c1f196a2bf1fbb94536a76b9b.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I think he's got something there. :)

Doesn't he usually?
:D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

9 hours ago, Auspex said:

Doesn't he usually?

Definitely, but try rattling off that phrase when folks are surprised by something and see how long it takes for someone to turn and say 'huh?' 

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Holly jumpin' chertified pisolitic bauxite !

I think he's got something there. :)

Chertified... Wouldn't that make it a chert pseudomorph after pisolitic bauxite? Or would that be Pisolitic bauxite pseudomorph after chert? Try saying that fast... :zen:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

11 hours ago, Auspex said:

Doesn't he usually?

@Auspex, I would replace usually with ALWAYS!!! At least he ALWAYS amazes me.

@Gimme, looks like a great piece to polish! Especially after seeing: 5b6a112a92ec4_Chertified_pisolitic_bauxite_(wet_cut_surface_11.7_cm_across)_from_Arkansas_USA.jpg.5fddd28c1f196a2bf1fbb94536a76b9b.jpg

All in all, this is an unusual and fascinating specimen, and I thank @Gimme for bringing it to TFF!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived