Paraloid on wet matrix and fossils

thelivingdead531

I’ve tried searching through the forum and it seems that there are mixed reviews about using paraloid on wet specimens. I have a couple of chunks of wet sand/clay with bivalves and gastropods that are extremely fragile. Everything will crumble with the slightest touch. 

So, what is the general consensus on using paraloid on wet specimens? Should I risk it and dry them out first? 

5A6D51F4-181F-49F5-931F-46CEFBA14DE4.jpeg

Personally anytime I have used it will create a white film if the fossil is wet I think personally as long as you leave it to dry out somewhere safe where it will not get touched by anything then use a syringe to apply the pva/acetone solution.

Thanks Matt

PVA works well on wet specimens but is non-reversible.

For paraloid use, try drying the specimen very slowly first (e.g. in a loosely closed plastic bag) - maybe for a week or two. 

Tarquin

I hope it doesn't fall apart on you when it dries?  Also, a long time ago I had some stuff that was also so fragile that once I started to add a very thin glue to it, it fell apart on me.  Kinda like it started to melt!  But the best of luck to you.  I will cross my fingers for you too.

RB

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone! I will let them slowly dry and hope for the best then! :fingerscrossed:

Archived