Dremel tool

MeargleSchmeargl

I have recently heard on the internet that some people use dremel tools to prep fossils, particularly cleaning gunk off of echinoids and co. Is it a recommended for Echie prep, or should I use something else? :headscratch:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Dremel tools can be used, but you may not get the same control and precision as with a proper air scribe, followed by air abrasion. Dremel uses vibration whereas scribes are more of a mini jackhammer. Dremel will also take a lot longer, and it is not recommended for finer detail work. They may be better suited for more bulk matrix removal. 

Another important caveat about using vibration tools like Dremel is that you should not use them for extended periods of time. The vibrations can cause damage to the delicate nerves of the hand, which can lead to "white finger" - a neural condition that can leave your thumb, index and middle finger numb for periods of time and have a lasting effect on blood flow.

If you choose to go with a Dremel, some points on safety:

1. Take frequent breaks (try not to go more than 10 minutes; less may be better).

2. Invest in a padded vibration glove.

3. Do not operate in cold or cooler temperatures as that restricts blood-flow to the hands and increases the risk of vibration-related damage.

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Is it a recommended for Echie prep, or should I use something else? 

Hi there,

Kane was speaking about the vibrating dremel .. they do have the classic electric rotary tool.  I use mine occasionally on fossil shark teeth with a polishing wheel to pull off some of the river/stream gunk and hit it with just a toooouch of polish. They have a great variety of burrs, cutting wheels, grinders etc... I would agree that neither is probably best for detailed work.  But on a budget it's not horrible.

The rotary tool is usually used less for matrix removal and more as a final touch up or finish tool.  You can get a flex shaft with a pedal for variable speed. Be careful buying anything super cheap.  I made that mistake once and the shaft busted almost immediately.

The dremel rotary is also great around the house for small jobs in tight spaces ...

Good Luck,

Brett

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Kane said:

Another important caveat about using vibration tools like Dremel is that you should not use them for extended periods of time. The vibrations can cause damage to the delicate nerves of the hand, which can lead to "white finger" - a neural condition that can leave your thumb, index and middle finger numb for periods of time and have a lasting effect on blood flow.

Wow, I actually developed this exact condition on the same three digits. I guess I didn't attribute it to the Dremel scribe since it came on sometime after it's use. But now I know the cause!

Thanks for the information and safety warning.

Unfortunately,  the damage is done. I still have major loss of nerve sensation in those fingers and thumb at least a year later. :(

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wow, I actually developed this exact condition on the same three digits. I guess I didn't attribute it to the Dremel scribe since it came on sometime after it's use. But now I know the cause!

Thanks for the information and safety warning.

Unfortunately,  the damage is done. I still have major loss of nerve sensation in those fingers and thumb at least a year later. :(

Ouch! I get a bit of it from time to time, too. :( And it sucks waking up in the middle of the night with numbness.

It could also be Carpal Tunnel. If you tap your wrist at the top nearer to the thumb, and it sends out a kind of little electric nerve shock to your knuckle area, that is one of the tests for Carpal. That's called Tinel's Sign test. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 4 weeks later...

wow,. on a strange note, I am just looking into cleaning and preping fossil, but have a lot of wrist problem. Glad I came 

across this thread as I can learn and get ahead of any future problem and take breaks.

Joe

• I found this Informative 1