Fossil Shack Air Scribe

LAFidel

I have never used them but looking at their website, it appears to be an Aro clone. This is significantly more powerful than the Micro Jacks. It will also have much more slop than a Paleo Tools product. I would NOT use it for prepping GRF Split Fish specimens as they show on their site. It is way too aggressive for them.

I'm certainly not knocking the tool (I use an old Aro clone that I've had for almost 20 years) it just isn't in the same league. It is a good scribe to start with as it is a medium duty tool and will handle most prep work well. It won't remove bulk material quickly and it will obliterate delicate stuff but it will do well in the majority of cases.

• I found this Informative 1

Further information has been provided to me that will contradict some of my assumptions. Unknown to me, this is the product and design of our own wonderful @sseth. While this scribe in appearance is an Aro, in function it is much more. Seth was nice enough to provide me with some very useful technical specifications that I won't bore you with. But, this is the scribe he uses for his split fish prep in their quarry and I've seen some of that stuff he's done.

So, refining my very limited opinion to: I don't know enough about it to have an opinion but as soon as my wife forgets that I just bought a new scribe, I'll be ordering one to test and review!

your wife forgets things you do?  You are one lucky man! :rofl:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

48 minutes ago, Walt said:

your wife forgets things you do?  You are one lucky man! :rofl:

If I stay off the radar for a while and do a bunch of prep work between purchases I’m usually safe!

• 10 months later...

I'm also looking at the Fossil Shack scribe. 

I work on micro-vertebrate fossils and have just starting working privately. I fortunately have temporary use of the PaleoTools Microjack 3 and 6 for about 6 months. The problem is I'm in South Africa and the exchange rate is certainly not on my side. Dollars, shipping costs AND import taxes make the microjack quite an investment, excluding the replacement parts (which is a whole new investment!). The Fossil Shack scribe is more affordable for me, but would love to hear some reviews of it! I only work on fossils on the smaller spectrum so would need something that is precise, hardy but also gentle enough to not obliterate my specimens! 

Any suggestions would be welcome. Either that or I bite the bullet and buy it and review it for everyone ;-) 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

• 4 weeks later...

I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not a scribe for bulk removal, unless you are dealing with some soft stone. I mainly work with chert, dolostone, dolomite rock, and limestones. It's not the best for cherty material but it works nice for all others, and it is a reasonable priced scribe. I'm not a pro, but with a steady hand even I've got in some nice detail work out of it. I was able to prep out a nice blastoid steinkern earlier today, and I never would have saved so many details with my other scribe. 

20190730_205206.jpg

4 hours ago, Jackson g said:

I have one and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not a scribe for bulk removal, unless you are dealing with some soft stone. I mainly work with chert, dolostone, dolomite rock, and limestones. It's not the best for cherty material but it works nice for all others, and it is a reasonable priced scribe. I'm not a pro, but with a steady hand even I've got in some nice detail work out of it. I was able to prep out a nice blastoid steinkern earlier today, and I never would have saved so many details with my other scribe. 

20190730_205206.jpg

Wow! This is beautiful! Nice job. 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time