Worn Down Theropod Tooth

Zapsalis

A couple of years ago my grandmother purchased me this theropod tooth offline for a cheap price. The only locality given was Hell Creek, Montana. I took it to my local geology museum and one of the paleontologists who took pictures of it for me told me that the serrations were nearly identical, but he said that it is a dromaeosaurid tooth in his opinion. I think it could be either nanotyrannus, dromaeosaurid or maybe just a theropod indeterminate. It is very worn down. What do you guys think?

0AEAFF2C-623C-40EA-8717-954DAADAF6F4.jpeg

3C13B595-8F9A-470B-AB9E-356C03BD56FF.jpeg

B9E03F0D-5BAA-44C1-AE6D-1192F10D3CF3.jpeg

1AD8D8C5-F94E-44CB-880C-9C6A6E984B51.jpeg

Serration density is key in diagnosing this tooth.  Since they are the same it's not a Dromaeosaurid.   Nanotyrannus is a good call.  The locality given probably should read Hell Creek Formation from Montana.

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

Serration density is key in diagnosing this tooth.  Since they are the same it's not a Dromaeosaurid.   Nanotyrannus is a good call.  The locality given probably should read Hell Creek Formation from Montana.

Remember Dakotaraptor serrations are a lot closer in size than other dromaeosaurs. I don't think we can rule that species out based on that.

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, Troodon! 

5 hours ago, zekky said:

Remember Dakotaraptor serrations are a lot closer in size than other dromaeosaurs. I don't think we can rule that species out based on that.

But aren’t Dakotaraptor teeth more compressed than this? Also, I remember reading a thread about the difference between Tyrannosaurid and Dromaeosaurid serration shape. Correct me if I’m wrong, as I am only an amateur fossil collector. Maybe @Troodon remembers that thread. 

Dakotaraptor is always a consideration but all Dromaeosaurid's have a difference in density, are compressed and the shape of denticles are not the classic chisel shaped Tyrannosaurid but longer with rounded ends see photo.  True Dakotaraptor teeth appear to be pretty rare in the fossil record.  Have only seen a few.   The shape of denticles in Zapsalis tooth is very Tyrannosaurid like.

post-10935-0-24584700-1469292131.jpg.0dffc90242492020a6a3ceb5287a7300.jpg

Archived