found in Hell Creek, MT

NV fossil

Hi, I have no clue on this one.  I was out on private land near Jordan MT.  I found this rock which is unlike any other in the area.  I spent two days on the property and found nothing else even remotely close to this.  The land owner has had several Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus taken from his land.  He didn't know what this was either.  I thought it might be coprolite but I don't see any chunks of material.  It looks like the core is darker with this lighter brown outside.  It's relatively dense compared to most of the rocks I was picking up.  It's about 7" long and 3.75" wide at base.  I am thinking about cutting it.  I'd be most appreciative if someone could help. 

Thanks!!

Frank

IMG_0511 copy 1.jpg

IMG_0511 copy 1.jpg

IMG_0509 1.jpg

The black is "desert varnish" or lichens.

I stick with My original assessment.

This picture looks like a crocodile head with a bright red tongue sticking out.:rofl:

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Not seeing any bone textures. 

Geologic origin on this one. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's definitely not bone.  There are no trabeculae typical of bone.  I have pieces of bone, and a little horn and coprolite from the area.  This thing is just really weird in comparison to everything else out there.  I thought it might be a type of chert brought in to make arrow heads.  One can find some pieces of introduced rock (a more refined flint is what I saw) here and there for that purpose.  But I would think that if someone carried this thing in to make arrow heads, it would have been broken.  Plus, I can't scratch through the patina.  That seems weird given what I have seen with most crusts on flint, etc.   The crust is not calcified.  The crust seems to have formed a long time ago.   I think I am going to cut it.  That should be fun if it really is chert.    THANKS!

I have found random pieces of chert in the Hell Creek Fm. as well. A paleontologist from the ND Geologic Survey had told me they were from a different formation/layer and washed in/down. I wish I could remember what he said, but that was a couple of years ago. Here is a piece I found in the Hell Creek Fm. near Marmarth, ND. It can be really odd looking stuff.

Arrival-Day-Hike-Flint-1a.JPG

• I found this Informative 3