Wilmington, NC

DAW85

My friend was telling me the other day that in the Wilmington, NC area, ( I think New Hanover County) They have sand mines where you can find fossils and shark teeth. Does anyone have any information on this, possibly a location?

5 hours ago, DAW85 said:

My friend was telling me the other day that in the Wilmington, NC area, ( I think New Hanover County) They have sand mines where you can find fossils and shark teeth. Does anyone have any information on this, possibly a location?

I don't know of any "sand quarries" but recall seeing some pictures of pits people were finding shells in. Personally I've visited some sites that have had a lot of shells and the like, but I've never found any teeth. These were all land sites and on private property, but were outside New Hanover County. The only site in New Hanover County that had some fossils (shells and tiny shark teeth) that I knew of was an old put put course (or maybe some other golf thing, I haven't visited it recently) that had some exposed sediment near it's parking lot, but that place has been closed for a while. 

Now near Old Brunswick there are some decent looking cliffs along the Cape Fear River. I don't know how you access them or what's there, but they reminded me of the cliffs near 301 along the Potomac River. 

• I found this Informative 2

go to the North Carolina Fossil club web site and you'll get some information. There are many fossil sites in coastal NC included in the book "Fossil Collecting in North Carolina". It is available as paper from the state geological survey in Raleigh and possibly as pdf as well. Or google "fossil sites, new hanover county NC".

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, DAW85 said:

Thank you for your reply! I will continue my hunt!

Good luck! The dirt inland from Wilmington is literally full of shells and the like. I love it! Just walk along the road or in a field/lawn and you'll find stuff. 

59e37d564243b_shell2.jpg.8fbf785a30b59eadd1b33d3d34deb5c2.jpg

59e37d5f7f22d_shell3.jpg.549b428eedef69e0eda03c7d4cea0a63.jpg59e37d68ecd90_shell4.jpg.ebc12e22ae22f008557314885b3a20cd.jpg

These are some of what I've found. I like the big olive shells the best. 

Not a lot of teeth near Wilmington, but for shells the exposure at the park on Snow's Cut is good. For teeth, head up to the north part of Topsail.

Thanks Jeffagso2369! Just look on the beach or are there certain spots? I wonder if there are creeks or branches near Wilmington that have teeth...

On 8/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, EMP said:

cliffs along the Cape Fear River.

Just make sure you check under your car before you leave there. :rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

12 hours ago, DAW85 said:

Thanks Jeffagso2369! Just look on the beach or are there certain spots? I wonder if there are creeks or branches near Wilmington that have teeth...

PM sent

I've had decent luck on the north end of the island with a shovel and sifter, particularly after storms. Also on the sound side of the island, which is a maze of sloughs and tidal creeks.