Enchodus tail

Bone guy

I found this neat enchodus tail online for not much $. I'm fairly certain it's real, but I'm posting this in the Is It Real? Forum because I feel like this may be a composit. I drew a line where I think two pieces were composited to form a complete tail. Any ideas? The piece is 7 x 8 inches. 

IMG_1143.PNG

Yep, I agree. 

Looks like two separate pieces fixed together to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

A good price makes for a wonderful day of bread and circus.  :raindance:

Well spoken :P 

44 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yep, I agree. 

Looks like two separate pieces fixed together to me. 

I think what we have here is a partial caudal fin and a partial pectoral fin. I will take a pass on this one. Thanks everyone! :) 

Thanks Bone guy.  It's looks like you glommed onto my comment for what it is: a delightful artifact at a good price is it's own reward.  Best.

It does look like it's at least been repaired. But besides that it looks real. Though it seems like the pieces might fit quite nicely, but the bit of matrix obscures how well they'd fit. You could ask for more photos before buying. But I think that even if it does turn out to be a composite, even without that lower part, it would still be a nice fossil.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I also think its real.  The preservation is very close and this is not very common material from South Dakota.  This is not Moroccan hack work.  I would purchase it its nice.

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

It does look like it's at least been repaired. But besides that it looks real. Though it seems like the pieces might fit quite nicely, but the bit of matrix obscures how well they'd fit. You could ask for more photos before buying. But I think that even if it does turn out to be a composite, even without that lower part, it would still be a nice fossil.

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

I also think its real.  The preservation is very close and this is not very common material from South Dakota.  This is not Moroccan hack work.  I would purchase it its nice.

Would you guys recommend trying to separate the two pieces? I would love to do prep work on a stinking enchodus tail! 

Have you asked the seller if it was found this way, broken and reattached or was it  arbitrary where the side piece was attached.

If you purchase it a close examination of both sides can help determine your path forward. 

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Have you asked the seller if it was found this way, broken and reattached or was it  arbitrary where the side piece was attached.

If you purchase it a close examination of both sides can help determine your path forward. 

I messaged the seller asking if the pieces were found together and simply put back together. He said it was broken when found and he repaired it himself. If I was to proceed with obtaining this piece I would likely try to re-repair it so the break is less noticable. 

Archived