Possibility of Getting Abelisauridae Fossils

JurassicParkCarnotaurus

My favorite dinosaur is the Carnotaurus (hence the name) and I would love to have a fossil of one but I am aware that they are nearly impossible to come by. I was wondering if any of it’s relatives fossils are more common or easier to obtain. Thanks in advance!

• I found this Informative 1

I believe abelisaurid teeth are among the most common predatory dinosaur teeth on the market. They come from Morocco and they have an average price of $35-60 depending on quality. Unfortunately they can only be ID'd down to Abelisaurid indet. 

• I found this Informative 3

You can easily find Abelisaurid teeth from Kem Kem, they are common and quite cheap. However they are all Indets and Rugops isn't from Kem Kem(even though sellers label them as Rugops teeth). @Bone guy beat me to it. 

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Well the closest large bodied Abelisaurid that is described and come up for sale is Majungasaurus from Madagascar.   There are multiple Abelisaurid and a large bodied one from the Kem Kem but these teeth are not described and poorly understood.  Teeth from small bodied ones are not a direct comparison to Carnotaurus but are Abelisaurids and are very common.

• I found this Informative 4

You can easily find some on any auction site, I got mine from a bulk sale that came with a bunch of other Moroccon material. I am quite happy with it because the serrations were quite nice. 

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

3 minutes ago, lone5wolf117 said:

Lately i got two abelisaurid tooths form Echkar Formation and they were labal has rugops tooth.

received_213565372653111.jpeg

received_261507404673955.jpeg

Oh so you are the one would got the tooths i was talking with Paul Sereno about them.

7 minutes ago, JurassicParkCarnotaurus said:

Any chance the “raptor teeth” from Morocco are Abelisauridae?

No Abelisaurids are not raptors.  Most sellers improperly identify them as raptors, most are clueless what describes a raptor. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks guys- as you can tell I’m pretty new to the dino fossil scene and really appreciate all the help!

Yes it's definitely possible to get both Abelisauridae teeth and bones. As said, Kem Kem is the obvious option. Fossils from many other localities aren't as readily available on the international market.

Also as has been said, the Abelisaurids from the Kem Kem beds are still poorly understood. The deposits are Cenomanian in age, so right at the start of the Late Cretaceous. While not much is known, there is reason to believe these Abelisaurids are fairly derived. A while back someone posted a fossil on the forum that was clearly an arm bone from a derived Abelisaurid.

So they'd be more like Carnotaurus and Majungasaurus, and less like the geographically closer Rugops. Rugops is known from Niger and of similar age. Their teeth are quite similar, but it seems likely that the Abelisaurids from Kem Kem are a different species based on the scrappy bones that have been found. Though we do not know how many types of Abelisaurids are present in the Kem Kem beds.

As the others have also already said, Abelisaurid teeth seem quite common and are pretty easy to get. But these teeth are misidentified as raptor most of the time. So it's very important to educate yourself about the subtle differences. Bones are also available but often hard or even impossible to identify.

A typical Abelisaurid tooth from the Kem Kem beds. The straight back edge is quite typical of these teeth. Both edges are serrated and the tooth is laterally quite thin.

A differently shaped Abelisaur tooth from the front of the jaw. Also from Kem Kem. Premaxilla teeth are a bit fatter towards the tip as they are differently oriented. And as you can see, the colour can vary quite a bit.

Though much rarer. Abelisaurids are also known from the Ouled Abdoun Basin in Morocco. This place is most known for it's mosasaur and plesiosaur fossils. It's Maastrichtian in age and has marine deposits. But it seems a few Abelisaurids drowned and left their teeth in the bottom of the sea. Harder to get, but these teeth sometimes appear on the market. And the upside compared to Kem Kem is that it has a name, Chenanisaurus.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

18 hours ago, JurassicParkCarnotaurus said:

Any chance the “raptor teeth” from Morocco are Abelisauridae?

I can see how I think troodon misinterpreted this question but to answer it yes what sellers are typically selling as any of the following "raptor, rugops, deltadromeus or abelasaurus" are all undescribed abelsauirdae teeth there is also the possibility to get the large bodied abelsauirdae teeth however these I must say are rare and so far have seen two one of which I have kept in my personal collection which you can see in the picture below.

Thanks Matt

PSX_20180810_211338.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question- not sure if you can tell from the crappy picture but would this be a Abelisauride tooth? Its supposedly from the Kem-Kem Basin and almost an inch long. It is stated as being a "Deltadromeus Agilis" tooth. @Haravex

fullsizeoutput_7d.jpeg.35800fdea8a1babd596d28bdbc842b5a.jpeg

4 hours ago, JurassicParkCarnotaurus said:

Quick question- not sure if you can tell from the crappy picture but would this be a Abelisauride tooth? Its supposedly from the Kem-Kem Basin and almost an inch long. It is stated as being a "Deltadromeus Agilis" tooth. @Haravex

fullsizeoutput_7d.jpeg.35800fdea8a1babd596d28bdbc842b5a.jpeg

You probably know this already but it's not Deltadromeus. Can we see a close-up of the serration? Also need more pictures with clarity.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yeah, I figured as much. And sorry, this is the only pic the seller provided me with.