Large Shark's Tooth found in Sarasota, FL need ID

bblack4jc

This is the first of 2 posts for 2 large shark's teeth. This one was found by myself on a shell driveway in Sarasota, Florida. Really. The dimensions are: 1 ¾ inch (4.445 cm) wide, 2 ½ inch (6.35 cm) long, height is ¾ inches (1.905 cm), tip curves up approx. ¼ inches (.635 cm), the width (from top to bottom) of the inside triangle shape is 5/16 inch (0.79375 cm). Here are some pictures as best as I can take them.

Can you help me ID this tooth?

Mega_Top2 sm.jpg

Mega_Top sm.jpg

Mega_Close Up sm.jpg

Mega_Back sm.jpg

Mega_left Side sm.jpg

Mega_Right Side sm.jpg

Mega_Tip sm.jpg

Mega_Top_close up sm.jpg

Can we get a closer picture of the wierd bit near the root, I wonder whether it’s an interesting pathology or simply wear.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Can you tell me which picture you are referring to when you say, "wierd bit near the root"? And describe it better. I may already have another picture, I just did not post them all.

I also agree with it being nothing less than the legendary Carcharocles megalodon*. 

*Disputed genera, another contending genus is Otodus.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

8 hours ago, bblack4jc said:

Can you tell me which picture you are referring to when you say, "wierd bit near the root"? And describe it better. I may already have another picture, I just did not post them all.

4B77A223-018E-4EF5-9F82-B04C19A30808.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived