What Is This?

Mike_H

This isn't for me or even by me. I found this while searching for fossils in Maine (where I live. He found this in Massabesic lake in Auburn, NH.

In all honesty, it looks like nothing to me but you guys be the judge.

~Mike

It don't look like much from the pictures but who knows.

He stated:THIS WAS FOUND NEAR A LAKE IN ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, NEW HAMPSHIRE. IT LOOKS LIKE A BONE FOSSIL OF SOME SORT. I CAN'T FIND AN EXPERT WILLING TO TAKE A LOOK AT IT IN PERSON BECAUSE "FOSSILS DON'T EXIST ... Do sure what he was trying to say. Might look at his other stuff to see where he is coming from

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

That's the only vid he has. I sent the ling to a pro I know back in Missouri. Hopefully something will turn up.

As far as fossils not existing in New Hampshire, well...Being mostly granite and other metamorphic rocks (southern maine is the same way) not much of anything is found. Now that's not to say nothing is found just not much whch makes me unhappy cause I so wanna go fossil hunting again. =(

It does sorta' look like a femur head or something, but it could be from a moose that died 50 years ago. Pics can't tell us whether it is fossilized...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't see a femur head, but thats why this places works we all see things different. Mike please let us know what you learn from the man in Missouri

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

He's Carl Cook of the St. Louis Institute of Paleontology. He said it is a bone and that it looks to be part of a foot but that's all he can say without handling it in person. I gotta say, I am rather envious of this guy. Hopefully where he found it is not that far from the Maine border, I want a crack at that site. =D

maine geology & fossils

article

mike -

maine apparently has lots of fossils, but perhaps not of the type you're seeking at the moment. at any rate, online research is faster and cheaper than many other methods. study up on the vertebrate stuff and where it's found if you're going to focus on that, but otherwise, there are a bunch of cool fossils in maine for you to look for...

welcome to the forum

maine geology & fossils

article

mike -

maine apparently has lots of fossils, but perhaps not of the type you're seeking at the moment. at any rate, online research is faster and cheaper than many other methods. study up on the vertebrate stuff and where it's found if you're going to focus on that, but otherwise, there are a bunch of cool fossils in maine for you to look for...

welcome to the forum

Nothern Maine is a treasure trove of early fossils but I know now from my own online research that Southern Maine is ripe with Pleistocene fossils. I found a site in the next town over and referance to a mammoth found back a few years ago with in a 20 minute drive. So I guess I might find some vertabrate fossils eventually. =)

And thank you.