Still_human

Can anyone possibly ID these processes? Are they from different species? I know it's a long shot, but I won't know unless I ask. They're from hell creek. that's all I know about them. The first one is 2.75" tall, and the second is 3.25" tall. That's all the information I have about them.

IMG_7086.PNG

IMG_7088.PNG

IMG_7089.PNG

IMG_7090.PNG

From what Ive learned from you guys, I think the second one is NOT a theropod, right? Thats as much as I could even potentially narrow it down.

the first one is spongey, but definitely different than the second one, including outer dimensions, so I can't even guess what kind that's from.

Fragment of bone with no distinguishing features can only be guessed on. 

From what I see, I would have a hard time calling either a "process".And would have a harder time saying they are dino.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 hours ago, ynot said:

Fragment of bone with no distinguishing features can only be guessed on. 

From what I see, I would have a hard time calling either a "process".And would have a harder time saying they are dino.

Really? I thought they were clear as process tips. Guess I need to do some more research.

assuming they are processes, what are you be thinking they might be instead of dinos?

If You are 100% sure of where it came from - then any animal of the correct size.

There are many oval bones in a skeleton and they vary from animal to animal.

To My uninformed eye, it looks like there is a remnant of an articulation surface (denser bone with a slight convex/concave structure) on the unbroken end. This would have been where two bones moved against each other. Not a feature I would expect from a process.

But, because of the state of wear on this piece it is just speculation.

Maybe @Harry Pristis or @Troodon can prove Me wrong.

Where are these from? Age? In the tab I see Creek and then Hell so does that mean Hell Creek Formation?  If so the top photo looks like a neural process from an indeterminate dinosaur not unlike those I find on Hadrosaurs. Same comment with the lower bone but looks more like a lateral process.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with the dorsal process of an indeterminate dinosaur ID on the first one.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It just says "hell creek formation, Montana", "late cretaceous (65mya)"

does hell creek have different periods exposed? I always thought hell creek was specifically just a later Cretaceous site.

14 hours ago, ynot said:

it looks like there is a remnant of an articulation surface (denser bone with a slight convex/concave structure) on the unbroken end.

I'm not seeing that. Can you point out where you mean?

On 8/12/2018 at 12:42 PM, Still_human said:

I'm not seeing that. Can you point out where you mean?

It is a moot point, since both troodon and lordtrilobite see it Your way.

I just am not that familiar with bones.:blush:

8 hours ago, ynot said:

It is a mute point, since both troodon and lordtrilobite see it Your way.

I just am not that familiar with bones.:blush:

Don't worry, I was amazed at how horrible I was with certain things before asking people on here. I’ve learned so much from the people on here. Even with all that additional knowledge though, I still don't know enough to be confident with many things (and some things I was confident about, I ended up wrong anyway)! Almost every time I ask for an ID, I learn something(s) new. Sometimes a small but important detail, and sometimes a whole lot! Especially after learning lots of new stuff, I realize how little I really do know about a lot of this stuff.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:35 AM, Still_human said:

It just says "hell creek formation, Montana", "late cretaceous (65mya)"

does hell creek have different periods exposed? I always thought hell creek was specifically just a later Cretaceous site.

No just trying to understand locality,  since Hell Creek Formation was not said in the initial post. Also the HC Fm is 66mya not 65.

Yeah, that's just what was written. I quoted them exactly. 

Ah-ha, I THOUGHT I mentioned it in the original post, afterall :P