Calvert State Park Vs. Cove Point this saturday AM

cambo

Hi, I've been finding a bunch of small teeth lately on the Potomac, but now I want a chance to find the BIG ones! 

I have a small window of time on Saturday morning to go for a hunt. I am trying to decide between Calvert Cliffs State Park beach or around Cove Point.

I will be arriving to the area around 5:30 AM and will be able to hunt for about 3 hours. 

What do you all suggest?

Thanks!

I see that they open at 6am... That’s great. Only concern is the $18 fee... ouch! 

Anyone have other thoughts?

SailingAlongToo

@cambo

If you are "walking in" along Calvert Cliffs, you really are limited to only a few public access options. Matoaka Cabins, CCSP and Brownies Beach being 3 of 4 for the entire cliffs.

Thanks for the info. What is CCSP?

Also, if I go to Brownies Beach, I'm assuming I should walk SOUTH along the shore. Correct? Are there any portions that are closed because of the cliffs?

THANKS!

I_gotta_rock

CCSP is a very small beach and usually heavily picked over in the summer.  Cove Point isn't open to the public, except on days when the Calvert Marine Museum takes people out to the lighthouse under supervision. I Recommend Flag Ponds Nature Park. There is no cliff access, but if you are tuned into shark teeth the way my daughter is, you will find plenty of shark teeth and ray plates. It all washes up. In fact, you don't have to restrict your search to the shore line. The wide, circular beach is a flood plain and all kinds of things have probably washed up everywhere during the last few storms.We were there last month and the waves were plopping teeth at our feet.  The only thing about Flag Ponds is that you have to get there early. They close the gates when the parking lots are full -- and they fill regularly -- though there is always ample space on the beach for everyone there to spread out comfortably. $8 per car entry fee.

Flag Ponds Pano.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

I_gotta_rock
1 hour ago, cambo said:

Thanks for the info. What is CCSP?

Also, if I go to Brownies Beach, I'm assuming I should walk SOUTH along the shore. Correct? Are there any portions that are closed because of the cliffs?

THANKS!

At Brownies, they don't want you walking on the cliffs or under them. The cliffs are too unstable. Note all the fallen trees. South is good, but you can't go very far in any direction. Better to plop yourself down with a sifter in the water out past where the little kiddies can sit with heir heads above water and stay cool.

Calvert Cliffs Pano.jpg

Thanks very much for the information. How does Brownies Beach collect the entrance fee? I want to be prepared. 

4 hours ago, cambo said:

Hi, I've been finding a bunch of small teeth lately on the Potomac, but now I want a chance to find the BIG ones! 

I have a small window of time on Saturday morning to go for a hunt. I am trying to decide between Calvert Cliffs State Park beach or around Cove Point.

I will be arriving to the area around 5:30 AM and will be able to hunt for about 3 hours. 

What do you all suggest?

Thanks!

I wish I could give Maryland Bay advice, but I have no luck and no access to anything of consequence. Sorry.

3 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

they don't want you walking on the cliffs or under them.

You are prohibited from walking on cliffs anywhere, for obvious reasons. Also don’t dig in them. You may walk as far south as you like at brownies though, they have no rules prohibiting walking under the cliffs. It is dangerous though, be alert and aware and fossil hunt at your own risk. Brownies is my personal favorite but with the tough fee during the summer, I only go on the off season.

5$ for Matoaka, though large teeth are uncommon they can very occasionally be found. However, they have beautiful fossil shells of hundreds of types. 

I don’t like CCSP but perhaps that’s just me. I have spent a total of ten minutes at flag ponds, so I can’t really speak for that.

Calvert local here.  Probably to late to help.  Calvert Beach/Matoka is probably the best bet.  Lived there as a child/teen, my experience has been the further north you go the bigger the teeth.  You can walk up to western shores during low tide.  Low tide is key to good day/bad day.  

Brownies beach is OK, became popular within the last 15yrs. Used to be able to drive to the beach itself yrs ago for free and nobody would be there.  An article in the Wash post about area day trips ruined that.  In the early 90's I still remember my friend "testing" out his new Jeep on trails that used to be on top of the cliffs.  The idiot parked close to the edge, caused the cliff to collapse taking his Jeep with it!!!!  Couldn't make it up if I tried! Lol!  

I never liked CCSP, too far of a walk.  

A kayak/boat/jet ski will get you to the best spots IMO.

FossilsAnonymous

Hey, Cove Point is amazing for multitudes of small teeth. But if you want big teeth there plan a day when an ocean cruiser goes by at low tide. :hearty-laugh:Seriously, a friend of mine was there on a day like that and 3 inch megs and makos and all sorts of big kerfuffle were coming up. But that's not practical, so Matoaka Beach it is.  A.thumb.JPG.d1bf66f6fb5e59ebf30624647ba4aa8b.JPG

A 2 inch tooth from matoaka

IMG_0292_1.thumb.jpg.cd9c0d61cdc5f9304d6f710f721801dd.jpg

In comparison, small multitudes from Cove Point