Ancient beach!

Rockboss73

I found it in central Mn it’s petrified the white pieces can’t be picked off by hand. Please help thank you it’s about 14x4 3 inches thick..thank you 55239439-E9C7-4A57-9D83-50220AB70DDA.thumb.jpeg.5e55b7690ffd8839d7964686564a4935.jpeg

2A0FACE1-7357-4BC9-90AE-D77CD812F408.jpeg

I was going to say possible breccia/conglomerate/coquina, but the flakes don't seem to have any plications to indicate broken brachiopods. This is an odd piece, and I wouldn't rule out that it could be human made. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yes, it looks at first glance to be from a high energy environment where all the shells have been smashed to pieces and preserved, but on closer inspection the little pieces look too smooth to be organic.

Interesting. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A long shot here.

There is a type of concrete construction known as Tabby.  It uses oyster shells with the ingredients for concrete and looks something like this:

Image result for tabby concrete

It was popular in colonial days, mostly in the south east, but has enjoyed a resurgence of late.  The shells are apparently burned or heated prior to their use and was popular because there used to be huge piles of shells available from Native Americans consuming fresh and salt water shell fish.  Like I said, it is a long shot, but I wonder if this was someones experiment with Tabby concrete.  The OP does not say what he or she thinks the matrix is, but it at least resembles concrete in the pictures.

If nothing else, here is a very interesting article about tabby concrete.

http://atlantapreservation.com/buildingmaterials/TabbyInfo.pdf

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Strange coquina look but not something I would expect in MN...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason